This Butternut Squash Pizza is one of my very easy recipes: Take my vegan and gluten free pizza dough recipe and add butternut squash, kale, red onion, and an outstanding cashew sauce – and you get a Butternut Squash Pizza you will never forget.
I don’t know about how you experience this but I have time and again this strange situations that I struggle with a particular recipe or component of my vegan recipes. Some of these problems are really tough if you are going for a dairy-free and gluten free diet. Making a good vegan pancake was one of the toughest I had faced until I figured out that the addition of starch will make them nice and fluffy, as you can read in my “Perfect Vegan Pancake” post.
And then there are those recipes that were just a pain because I never got them right. Try after try and not quite what I wanted, a big mess, or whatever. One of my eternal struggles was coming up with a vegan pizza dough recipe – as ridiculous as that may seem. They’d come out too sticky, too moist, too complicated. That continued for some time until I finally, finally found something that would qualify for my list of easy recipes.
Why am I telling you all this? Because the vegan pizza dough I introduced in my Vegan Pepperoni Pizza recipe has become a loyal friend – or “life saver” as somebody commented on Instagram. And today, I bring you a lovely fall version with my Butternut Squash Pizza. It’s a lovely addition to my list of kale recipes and – believe it or not – the starter for my growing collection of butternut squash recipes, because I had never cooked with this before. Which is certainly a loss because butternut is high on vitamin A, potassium, and fiber – all in all a great ingredient for healthy recipes.
I made a batch of the vegan pizza dough (including the tomato sauce) and peeled and diced the butternut squash (which took some effort – maybe there is a trick I’m not aware of?). Those dices were pre-roasted in the oven for 15-20 minutes. I briefly sautéed the kale together with diced red onions before adding everything to the pizza. Another 12-15 minutes in the oven and the Butternut Squash Pizza is as good as ready. On top of it, I sprinkled a good amount of a fresh cashew sauce made from soaked cashews, vinegar, garlic, water, and salt. Now it’s yours to take!
- 1 butternut squash, peeled and diced
- 2 large handful kale chopped
- 1 red onion
- salt, pepper
- 1 batch pizza dough (see my recipe here)
- Preheat oven to 390°F (200°C).
- Prepare the pizza dough and cashew sauce (optional).
- Peel and seed the butternut squash. Cut into thumb-sized cubes, then transfer to a baking dish. Season with salt and pepper, and pre-roast for 15-20 minutes. The exact time depends a bit on how ripe the squash is.
- In the meantime, peel and dice a red onion. Heat a teaspoon of oil in a saucepan and sauté the onion and kale briefly until the kale starts to wilt.
- Add the pre-roasted butternut squash, onion, and kale to the prepared pizza dough. Bake for another 12-15 minutes. Then serve with the cashew sauce
The Butternut Squash Pizza Elsewhere
- Washingtonian – 10 Tasty Gluten-Free Pizza Recipes – October 20, 2015