People keep asking my about suggestions on how to use chia seeds. Why not try an easy Chia Yoghurt Parfait and make it your favorite chia seeds recipe? Add some cacao nibs and you have a vegan goodie, simple, delicious, mouth-watering and also healthy!
Yoghurt is a very nice, easy to grab snack or a base for breakfast or desserts. It’s delicious but not heavy on you stomach. If one looks for vegan yoghurt, one can of course buy soy yoghurt or other plant-based products. I had a look at making some myself but the “traditional” recipe seemed rather involved – I’m too lazy for that. So I experimented until I found an easier way to get some delicious, balanced yoghurt to be used in my new Yoghurt Parfait recipe, based on pistachios. Yes, pistachios, you heard right!
The trick is to soak the pistachios for some time, at least an hour, better even longer (maybe overnight). All you need then is a powerful blender, a little bit of natural sweeteners, and some juice. After some blending, you have your delicious pistachio yoghurt.
For my Chia Yoghurt Parfait, I combined the yoghurt with some extra fruit puree. I chose kiwis and pureed them together with chia seeds. Making this puree is very easy again: just add the kiwi, chia seeds, and a bit of lemon juice to a blender and blend. Done! Finally, I prepared jars with the Chia Yoghurt Parfait with different layers of the yoghurt, puree, some fruits, and cacao nibs. Looks awesome and tastes even better.
Try it and also tell me about your self-made yoghurt experiences! Enjoy!
- 7 oz (200 g) pistachios, peeled and soaked for at least 1 hour or overnight, drained
- 1 Tbs organic vanilla extract
- 1 orange pressed and juiced +zest
- 3 Tbs lemon juice, divided
- ½ cup (80 g) chia seeds
- 2 kiwis peeled and chopped
- 4 Tbs agave or maple divided
- ½ cup (60 g) cacao nibs + more for garnish
- raspberries or blackberries (or a mix)
- Drain and rinse the pistachios into a colander and set aside.
- In a blender or food processor, combine the pistachios, vanilla extract, agave or maple syrup, lemon juice, salt, orange juice and zest. Pulse until you have a really thick cream-like yoghurt.
- Again using a blender, combine the chia seeds, kiwis, the remaining tablespoons of agave and lemon juice. Pulse until smooth.
- To assemble the yoghurt: begin with a layer of yoghurt, continue with 2 dollops of kiwi-chia-puree, then berries. Garnish with a few sprinkles of cacao nibs. Repeat the steps until your jar or small bowl is filled, top with cacao nibs.