Today it’s time for a beautiful dessert. I have always had a sweet spot for chocolate mousse but stayed away from it for a while.
Only after I had begun exploring vegan cooking, my mind came back to this sweet indulgence. But how does one do this? Of course, it should have been fairly easy to replace dairy by plant-based products – nut milks in particular. That seemed a bit boring, to be honest. Instead I remembered some of the inspiring recipes contributed by a number of my blogger friends in the Avocado Recipe Roundup.
I realized that avocado can be used as a great base for creamy desserts. Desserts such as the chocolate mousse I was after. With vegan chocolate and ripe avocado, you can already make a very nice, dark cream. I decided that I wanted it a bit more fruity and added a good batch of strawberries.
After some high-power blending, my Chocolate Mousse was done. After transferring the Mousse to small bowls, it helps to refrigerate them covered until you enjoy it. I sprinkled some roasted smashed cashews and cacao nibs on top of the mousse before I devoured it instantly.
5 minPrep Time
1 minCook Time
6 minTotal Time
- 2 ripe avocados
- 3.5 oz (100 g) vegan chocolate
- 2 tbs water
- 1 Tbs lemon juice
- 8 oz (250 g) strawberries divided (reserve 1/3 rest for garnish)
- 1 handful cashews, crushed
- 2 Tbs maple or agave syrup
- cacao nibs for garnish
- Mash the avocado and 2/3 of the strawberries with a fork until mashy or put them in food processor or blender and process until smooth (hint: blend the strawberries first, then add the avocados).
- In small saucepan or in the microwave, carefully melt the chocolate. Combine the avocado-strawberry mash with water, lemon juice, and the melted chocolate until you get a well mixed creme. Chop the rest of the strawberries for garnish.
- Put the mousse in the fridge for at least 1 hour up to overnight.
- Right before serving, crush the cashews and heat a small skillet. Carefully roast the cashew crumbles. When they are slightly brown, add the maple or agave syrup and let it caramelize for another minute.
- Garnish the Avocado-Chocolate Mousse with cacao nibs, strawberries, and the caramelized cashews. Enjoy!
The Chocolate Mousse Elsewhere
- Ricki Heller – 50+ Sugar-Free Chocolate Treats (+ A Few Carob!) for Your Sweetie – February 4, 2016