Does it also happen to you that you stumble upon something and it gets you hooked? This happened to me lately. I hope you have seen my recent post with the recipe for the Coconut-Mango Stew with Homemade Naan Bread? (If not, check it out!) There I had gotten myself into a bit of trouble by forgetting to buy coconut milk for the stew and had to improvise making coconut milk from coconut flakes and water myself.
That was surprisingly easy and very delicious. That’s the situation that got me hooked and I got really curious if it’s possible to make different nut-based milks in a similar way. I had always wanted to try doing something with Macadamia milk – which failed because no shop in the area sold it. So, this was the ideal candidate to start with.
So for getting a nice, smooth milk, I started soaking macadamias in water for some time. Overnight, in fact, although I’m sure that a couple of hour will also be enough. Depends on the power of your blender in which you then process the soaked nuts and some water until you get a nice smooth milk. After that, filter out remaining nut bits with a colander and there is your macadamia milk. Very cool.
Now that I had the milk, I needed to do something with it. I was really craving for something chocolaty so I decided to make an easy shake by adding raw cacao power, maple syrup, and some dark chocolate bits. A couple more pulses in the blender, and you are done. The Chocolate Shake with Homemade Macadamia Milk is best enjoyed chilled!
5 minPrep Time
1 minCook Time
6 minTotal Time
- 2 Tbs organic raw cocoa powder
- 2 Tbs maple syrup
- 1 cup (130 g) Macadamia nuts, soaked for 4 hours or overnight
- 3 cups (720 ml) water
- 2 Tbs dark vegan chocolate (at least 70%)
- 1 tsp vanilla (optional)
- Drain and rinse the soaked macadamias.
- Transfer macadamias to a blender, add water. Blend on highest setting until really smooth.
- Filter remaining macadamia pulp out with a colander. You should now have an amazing macadamia milk.
- Transfer macadamia milk back into the blender. Add maple syrup, chocolate, cacao powder (and vanilla). Pulse until well mixed. Keep chilled in the fridge.