Brace yourselves – chocolate is coming! I tell you what: this Death by Chocolate is the most guilt-free chocolate indulgence I ever had – or made, for that matter. It’s 100% vegan and gluten-free.
Usually, I come up with my recipe ideas when I have found a special new ingredient or there is a particular occasion. Not this time. This “Death by Chocolate” recipe has been created as a decadent treat for myself. I think that after organizing the successful move, I simply deserved it!
What is it? It’s a combination of a chocolate cake, chocolate mousse, and chocolate ice cream – all of it homemade. Main ingredient of it all is raw cocoa powder. I use it for the cake dough just as for the mousse and the ice cream. Why raw cocoa? Simple as that, it’s enormously healthy. These five points are from Jessica Zack‘s article “Raw Chocolate Health Benefits & Profile” on BuiltLean: it lowers blood pressure and improves circulation, can promote cardiovascular function, may neutralize free radicals and improve digestion, and last but not least enhance physical and mental well-being. Damn right!
With all those benefits, who could say no? So, I baked small tarteletts of chocolate cake, made an awesome chocolate mousse as a variation of a previous recipe, and took my first shot at making ice cream from raw cocoa, soaked cashews, and coconut milk. From the cocoa, all of these have this beautifully rich chocolate flavor – not overly sweet but delicious. I garnished it with some coconut whipped cream, extra molten chocolate sauce, and some cherries. What a delight!
Brace yourselves - chocolate is coming! I tell you what: this Death by Chocolate is the most guilt-free chocolate indulgence I ever had - or made, for that matter. It's 100% vegan and gluten-free
1 minPrep Time
15 minCook Time
16 minTotal Time
- 1/2 cup (65 g) gluten-free flour
- 1 cup (120 g) raw cacao pulver
- 1/3 cup (80 ml) coconut oil
- 1/4 cup (30 g) chopped dark vegan chocolate
- 1/3 cup (80 ml) + 2 Tbs Maple syrup
- 1 cup (240 ml) plant-based milk
- 1 1/2 tsp baking aluminium-free baking powder
- 1 ripe avocado
- 2 tbs peanut butter (no sugar added) (optional)
- 3 tbs raw chocolate powder
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) maple syrup
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) - 1/2 cup (120 ml) plant-based milk until you have the desired consistency
- 1 cup (130 g) cashew soaked overnight
- 2 tbs raw cocoa pulver
- 15 oz (400ml) full fat coconut milk
- 2 Tbs maple syrup
- 1 Tbs organic vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 390°F (200°C).
- In a bowl, combine first the dry ingredients, then carefully mix in the wet ones. Add the milk slowly until you get a sticky, moist dough.
- Prepare a baking dish (I used four small tartelette dishes) and fill with the dough. Transfer to the oven and bake for about 15 minutes. If you use one large baking dish, bake a bit longer.
- Add all ingredients to a blender and process until creamy. Store in the fridge.
- Put all the ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth
- Heat a saucepan and add the cream from the blender. Carefully heat the mix up until it thickens. Let cool.
- Transfer the cooled, thickened mix to an ice cream maker and operate it according to its manufacturer's instructions.
- Place Ice Cream, Mousse, and Cake on a plate. Garnish with coconut whipped cream, cocoa powder, and chocolate sauce (molten chocolate).