My Mexican Pasta Bake is an easy vegan recipe that will be a winner on every occasion. Snack, party food, lunch, or regular dinner. There is no time you cannot enjoy this vegan recipe.
Some friends and me used to have something that we called Mexican Nights where we would prepare Mexico-inspired food and enjoy each others’ company. Even though this is right now somewhat difficult after I moved, I’m sure there will be the occasional visit when we can resurrect this tradition. Anyways, while I was thinking back at these gatherings, it occurred to me that most of the time, we’d been a bit uninspired in out good choices. A taco here, a guacamole there. Not that there is anything to say against those! But I was simply thinking of doing something out of the box.
So I wanted to make a sort-of pasta casserole – with an avocado sauce. To make that sauce, I simply put two and a half avocados, a little bit of white vinegar, lemon juice, garlic, and olive oil into a blender and processed the mix until it was creamy. The sauce is mixed with the cooked pasta and I added black beans and corn. Then, I wanted to give this something even more special… some extra crunch. I took tortilla chips, crushed them with my hands, and folded them into the pasta mix.
Now it was time to put the Mexican Pasta Bake into the oven. Baking takes about 15 minutes. I then put some extra tomato slices, avocado, and cilantro on top. The Bake should be served with more tortilla chips, vegan sour cream, and I recommend some hot salsa sauce. I guess this one will be a winner at the next Mexican night.
- 3 ripe avocados
- 3 Tbs white vinegar
- 2 Tbs lemon juice
- 1 clove garlic
- water to thin if needed
- 2 Tbs Olive oil
- salt, pepper to taste
- 1 15 oz (400 g) can black beans
- 1 7 oz (200 g) can corn
- 8 oz (240 g) gluten-free pasta
- crumbled organic (gluten-free) tortilla chips for the sauce + for garnish
- hot sauce for serving + avocado cubes, cherry tomatoes and vegan sour creme
- Combine all ingredients (reserve one half of the avocados for later) in a blender and process until smooth. If the sauce is to thick, add a bit of water.
- Cook the pasta according to manufacturer's instructions. Drain and transfer the pasta to a bowl.
- Drain the black beans and the corn. Add to the bowl together with the avocado sauce and mix well.
- Take two handful of the tortilla chips and crush them. Mix into the pasta mix. Take more, if you like.
- Preheat oven to 390°F (200°C). Transfer the pasta mix to a baking dish and bake for about 15 minutes.
- Remove the Mexican Pasta Bake from the oven. Chop the cilantro, cherry tomatoes, and the avocado half and distribute on top.
- Serve with vegan sour creme and hot sauce.