This Taco Salad with Bulgur and Kumquats is a delicious vegan composition of Mexican flavors and middle eastern tastes.
During my recent prey to the Farmers’ Market, I stumbled upon a fruit I had never seen before. With a shape reminiscent of cherry tomatoes but a color of oranges. As it turns out, they were Kumquats. Kumquats are the fruits of small flowering trees of the same name. They are cultivated in Asia and the Middle East, apparently as well in warm parts of Europe, and the United States. Unlike their relatives oranges, the peel of Kumquats is edible. The peel itself has a bitter-sweet taste, while the pulp’s goes more into a bitter-acerbic direction. Eaten as a whole, the combination of flavors is quite unique and I imagine it can have a nice refreshing effect.
When I brought these small fruity gems home, I immediately knew what to do with them. I had planned for a tortilla chips salad (because tortilla!) with bulgur into which I wanted to add something citrus fruity. The plan had called for a filleted orange but I had some doubts because of all the liquid coming out of the orange making the chips soggy. These kumquats then were a gift from above: I could have the citrus fruit but without the sogginess.
The Taco Salad with Bulgur and Kumquats recipe itself is very easy. It comes with a Cashew-Citrus Dressing that can be prepared by simply whisking together cashew butter, orange juice and zest, tamari, and maple syrup. Easy and delicious. For the salad, all one needs a bit of cooked bulgur, the kumquats of course, and extras. I chose to have coconut flakes, raisins, cashews, and slices of red onion.
You then mix those ingredients (after the bulgur has cooled, of course) and enjoy the Taco Salad with Bulgur and Kumquats topped with a good amount of the Cashew-Citrus Dressing!
Have you ever used kumquats before? If so, I’m curious about what you did with them! Let me know!
- ½ cup (120 g) cashew butter
- 1 Tbs maple syrup
- 2 tsp tamari
- ¼ cup (60 ml) orange juice, freshly squeezed
- 1 organic orange zest
- 1 cup (140 g) uncooked bulgur
- ½ cup (65 g) cashews
- 4 oz (120 g) organic tortilla chips
- 8 oz (250 g) kumquats
- ½ cup (60 g) raisins
- ½ cup (30 g) coconut flakes
- ½ sliced red onion
- fresh cilantro
- For the Cashew-Citrus Dressing:
- Combine all ingredients in a bowl and mix well.
- For the Bulgur-Kumquat Tortilla Salad
- Cook the bulgur according to manufacturer's instructions. Let cool.
- Wash the kumquats thoroughly and cut in half. Remove seeds.
- Slice the red onion and combine with cooled bulgur, kumquats, cashews, raisins, and coconut flakes.
- Serve with the tortilla chips and some fresh cilantro.