My Cashew Spinach Cannellini Bean Stew gives you a quick and easy infusion of healthy nutrients and amazing taste. It is vegan and gluten free, and will become an favorite in your home.
Those of you who are following me on Facebook (What? You are not? What are you waiting for?) already got a teaser idea of today’s recipe in form of a link to an article on The Health Site describing 5 reasons why snacking on kajus or cashew nuts is a healthy option!
I not only love to snack on cashews, I use them in so many different recipes: cakes, brownies, salads, dips, and spreads – you name it. Today we get a new addition to these with this amazingly simple, yet so delicious, Cashew Spinach Cannellini Bean Stew.
In other words: back to normal weekday routine. I needed something that was fairly quick to make and would provide me with a satisfying lunch for two days. The lazy me took a good amount of tomato passata as a base for the stew and added a cup of cashew butter to make it more rich and tasty.
Extra healthy ingredients are spinach (so full of nutrients, especially vitamins and iron!) and Cannellini beans for additional protein!
All it needs more is a bit of spices: salt, pepper, a bit of curry and cardamom. I recommend some herbs such as cilantro, and thinly sliced scallions to give the stew some extra punch.
What makes this stew really scrumptious is the topping with cashews, briefly roasted with salt and curry. Look at those beauties!
Go ahead and try the Cashew Spinach Cannellini Bean Stew for yourself. It will make your lunches quite something!
- 24 oz (700 ml) tomato passata
- 17 oz (500 g) spinach
- 1 cup (250 ml) cashew butter
- 14 oz (400 g) dried or 2 14 oz (400 g) cans cannellini beans
- 2 Tbs olive oil
- salt, pepper, curry, cardamom
- a handful of cashews
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp curry
- herbs, scallions for serving
- Pre-cook the cannellini beans, if you use dried ones, according to manufacturer’s instructions.
- Wash and finely chop the spinach.
- Heat one Tbs of olive oil in a big saucepan and add the chopped spinach. Fry for 2-3 minutes.
- Add tomato passata and the cashew butter. Mix well and heat until nearly boiling on medium heat.
- Add beans and season with salt, pepper, curry to your taste (about 1 tsp each). A hint of cardamon can also be added. Keep the stew heated but not boiling.
- In a small saucepan, heat the other tablespoon of olive oil. Add the cashews, salt, and curry. Mix an roast for 3-4 minutes until the cashews brown lightly. Remove from heat.
- To serve, transfer a good amount of the stew into a bowl, sprinkle with roasted cashews, and some herbs and scallions, if desired.