This Chana Masala is an amazingly easy one pot meal which is done in under 20 minutes. The whole family will love its authentic spices, the green chilis. It is budget friendly, filling and no one would taste it is naturally vegan.
- 2 x 15 oz cans chickpeas, reserve liquid from one can
- Chana Masala spice mix (2 Tbs garam masala, 1 tsp cumin, 1 tsp chili powder, 1 Tbs garlic powder, 3 cloves minced garlic, 1/2 tsp turmeric, 2 green chilis, 1/4 tsp fenugreek)
- 2 x 15 oz cans chopped tomatoes
- 1 onion, diced
- salt, pepper to taste
- First heat a pot with 2 Tbs vegetable oil (canola, sunflower or coconut oil will work) or simply replace it with a the same amount of vegetable broth to make it oil free. Add now onions, minced garlic, chopped green chilis, and all the spices like garam masala, cumin, fenugreek, chili powder, garlic powder. Fry for around 2 minutes.
- Next add chickpeas (do not drain one of the cans) and the chopped tomatoes. Cook for around 8 minutes longer, then serve on plates or in bowls.
- Serving Size: 2.5 cups
- Calories: 393
- Sugar: 17.2 g
- Sodium: 26.2 mg
- Fat: 6.0 g
- Saturated Fat: 0.7 g
- Unsaturated Fat: 4.0 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 69.1 g
- Fiber: 13.4 g
- Protein: 20.9 g
- Cholesterol: 0 g
Keywords: vegan, Indian food, Masala, vegetarian, lunch, dinner