This Best Vegan Moussaka is full of savory, wholesome ingredients. Tasty with a homemade Tempeh sauce, lots of fresh eggplant, a creamy white sauce, and a delicious topping. Easy and gluten free.
For the Tempeh Sauce:
- 1 14 oz (400 ml) can tomato
- 14 oz (400 g) tempeh
- 1 red onion
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 Tbs red wine vinegar
- salt, pepper to taste
For the White Sauce:
- 4 Tbs olive oil
- 1/3 cup (50 g) flour (I used gluten free)
- pinch of nutmeg
- 4 Tbs nutritional yeast
- 3–4 cups almond or oat milk
For the Moussaka
- 2 eggplant
- 5 medium size potatoes
- 5 oz (150 g) vegan cheese
For the Tempeh sauce
- Peel and dice the red onion. Heat 1 Tbs of olive oil in a pan, add onions, cook for a couple of minutes until golden.
- Add the crumbled tempeh, 3 cloves of garlic and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Add tomato paste and vinegar and mix well. Then combine with the tomato and season with salt and pepper.
For the White sauce:
- Heat oil in a sauce pan. Slowly add flour while whisking. Add almond or oat milk bit by bit. Stir well.
- Season with salt, pepper, nutritional yeast, and nutmeg.
For assembling the moussaka:
- Bring salted water to a boil. Peel the potatoes, and cut in thin slices. Add to the boiling water and cook 5-10 minutes until just tender. Drain with cold water.
- Cut eggplant into slices, fry golden in pan.
- Pour about 1 cup of the white sauce into a casserole, then add 1/3 of the vegan cheese. Make a layer of the potato slices, followed by eggplant and the tempeh mix. Top with the remaining bechamel sauce and finally the vegan cheese.
- Bake the Moussaka at 350°F (180°C) for about 45 minutes.