This Vegan Broccoli Casserole is made with a cream of mushroom soup and is a perfect 30 minute meal. Nothing screams more comfort than a fresh broccoli casserole and no one would guess it’s dairy free, can be even made gluten free if needed. Seriously one of those easy dinners recipes for families or lunch ideas for kids that you will come back to again and again.
- 2 broccoli, cut into florets, steamed or cooked
- 1 batch of my Roasted Chickpeas Cream of Mushroom Soup, prepared without the chickpeas and no mushrooms reserved
- 3 cups onions, sliced
- 5 Tbs vegan butter
- 2 cups vegan cheddar, shredded
- salt, pepper to taste
Optional add ons:
- 1/2 cup vegan mayonnaise
- 1 cup crushed crackers (use gluten free if need, ensure vegan friendly)
- 2 tsp paprika spice
- 3 tsp potato starch plus water to thin, see notes
- First preheat your oven to 410°F.
- Heat a large pot or pan with vegan butter. Fry the onions for around 5 minutes until golden. While you do this, mix potato starch with water in a small bowl, if you plan to add it.
- Next add the prepared mushroom soup and optional vegan mayonnaise. Cook everything until thick and creamy for around 2 minutes, turn heat off.
- For the final step, you need a 13×9 inch casserole. Fill it with the steamed or cooked broccoli, season with a pinch of salt and pepper. Sprinkle with the optional paprika spice and then mix with the cream of mushroom sauce. Finally top with vegan cheese and again totally optional crushed crackers.
Bake for around 20 minutes.
- If you’re not using my mushroom soup recipe, make sure to adjust the seasoning. Add more garlic, salt, pepper whatever you like to guarantee a more tasty and flavorful result. Otherwise it could turn out a bit bland and boring.
- You may use the optional potato starch to thicken up your soup. Mix in a small bowl with water and give it to your can of soup. Mind that this step is not needed for my homemade soup recipe.
- Serving Size: 2 cups
- Calories: 332
- Sugar: 4.1 g
- Sodium: 483 g
- Fat: 26 g
- Saturated Fat: 15.1 g
- Unsaturated Fat: 5.1 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 22.6 g
- Fiber: 2.5 g
- Protein: 3.1 g
- Cholesterol: 0 g