Vegan Hoppin John. Made with fresh ingredients in a few easy steps this easy Hoppin John recipe is perfect for New Year celebrations. Get your dose of spicy tofu, black eyed beans (or black eyed peas), and greens and make yourself a Vegan Hoppin John that starts your year vegan and gluten free.
- 15 oz (400 g) black-eyed beans
- 1 green bell pepper
- 1 bunch scallions
- 6 oz (180 g) smoked tofu
- 1 1/2 cups uncooked rice
- 1–2 Tbs olive oil
- hot sauce
- salt, pepper to taste
- Cook the rice according to the package instructions.
- Wash and seed the bell pepper and the scallions. Chop into small bits and set aside.
- Chop the tofu into small dices, season with salt and pepper, and hot sauce (about 1 Tbs – more when you are brave).
- Heat 1Tbs of olive oil in a sauce pan, add the seasoned tofu and fry on high for a couple of minutes.
- Reduce heat and add the beans for 2-3 minutes. Set aside.
- Heat the remaining olive oil or just add the greens to the frying pan. Fry/roast for a couple of minutes until they have the softness you like.
- Serve the rice with a good amount of the tofu-bean and pepper-scallions mixtures on top
- Serving Size: 1 cup
- Calories: 276
- Sugar: 3.6 g
- Sodium: 82 mg
- Fat: 2 g
- Saturated Fat: 0.6 g
- Unsaturated Fat: 1.2 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 52 g
- Fiber: 6.2 g
- Protein: 12 g
- Cholesterol: 8.6 g
Keywords: new year food, rice dish