Check out my new easy recipe: Vegan Lunch Bowl with Hoisin Sauce. Roasted vegetables, cooked quinoa and a hearty sauce to spicy things up.
Here is another update on my move: things are running now (hot water, yeah!) and my stuff is unpacked. Well, most of it went into storage anyways but still, it wasn’t that little that had to be put into wardrobes and cupboards.
It’s all good now. I even managed to figure out how the microwave-oven combination installed in this kitchen works so that I’ll be able to create recipes that require baking or oven-roasting.
Recipes like this Vegan Lunch Bowl! Woot! Woot!
While I was sitting in my living room with the French balcony opened, I finally realized what a change this move has brought about: it’s so peaceful here.
Before, I was living in the center of the old city at a very busy intersection. It was noisy basically the whole day. In the morning you’d wake up to the loud sounds of the first buses – with windows closed. Here, I can leave the windows open and am greeted in the morning by birds cheeping.
What a difference! It’s not been long but I already feel that it has an effect on me. I can sleep better, and feel generally more relaxed.
What I felt was missing to complete this awesome day was a good meal. And here is where my Contentedness Bowl comes onto the stage.
I had stacked up the fridge with fresh vegetables during the morning shopping tour and planned to make full use of what I brought home. I like bowls because you can have all the satisfying food in one go, take the bowl and sit on the couch eating while feeling cozy and observing the trees outside. So good!
What went into the Vegan Lunch Bowl is cooked quinoa, chopped tomatoes, mashed avocado, as well as sautéed mushrooms and onions. And – thanks to figuring out how the microwave-oven works – roasted brussels sprouts. All of it easily done.
I topped this bowl with a Hoisin sauce, whose recipe I slightly adapted from Gwyneth Paltrow’s GOOP. Essentially, it’s a sauce that you briefly boil and simmer, based on miso, maple, a bit of oil, and some spices. Sprinkle it over the bowl and enjoy!Print
Check out my new easy recipe: Vegan Lunch Bowl with Hoisin Sauce. Roasted vegetables, cooked quinoa and a harty sauce to spicy things up.
- For Lee’s Hoisin sauce (adapted from GOOP)
- 1/4 cup miso
- 1/4 maple
- 1 tablespoon brown rice vinegar
- 1 tsp hot sauce
- 1 tsp canola or sunflower oil
- 1 small clove garlic
- For the bowl:
- 1 cup quinoa
- 1 handful sun dried tomatoes
- 1 avocado mashed
- 1 Tbs lemon juice
- cilantro, chopped
- 1 large handful cherry tomatoes
- 7 oz (200 g) mushrooms
- 1 onion
- 1 large handful brussels sprouts
- olive oil
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Mix all ingredients in a small sauce pan and bring to a boil.
- Let it simmer for about 4-5 minutes, then set aside to cool.
- For the bowl:
- Preheat oven to 390°F (200°C) and prepare a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Cook the quinoa according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
- Prepare the brussels sprouts and put them on the baking sheet with a dash of olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Roast in the oven for about 15 minutes.
- Clean and chop the mushrooms, onion, and tomatoes. Heat a bit of oil in a large pan and sauté the mushrooms and onion for about 10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- In a small bowl, coarsely mash the avocado together with lemon juice and chopped cilantro.
- Arrange everything in a bowl and sprinkle with the hoisin sauce.