I came up with this recipe for a “White Chocolate Cake with Tahini and Pomegranate” when I had seriously messed up my timetable. It was a Sunday morning and I had just more or less fallen out of bed when I checked my phone. There was a text message from a friend, Devin, ending with “See you today at the party!”. Party?!? What party?!? Suddenly I realized that this must be the birthday of one of our mutual friends, Samantha. The birthday that I had put one week later into my calendar for some unfathomable reason…
To make things worse, I had planned to bring a cake to the party. Of course, I hadn’t yet made any specific plans for what cake that would be. Nor did I think that I had much on stock to make something easily. A quick look into the pantry and fridge confirmed my suspicions. Not too much in there.
Flour alone doesn’t make a tasty cake. Well, there was some Tahini and White Chocolate in the pantry, and I remembered that there was a pomegranate somewhere in the fridge. Actually, that combination sounded fairly interesting and worth giving it a try. Here it was that my White Chocolate Cake with Tahini and Pomegranate was born.
So I began making a dough out of a molten chunk of the white chocolate and tahini, flaxseed, and pomegranate seeds (and of course the usual cake ingredients). The dough came together very nicely and I was very happy about it when I transferred it to the baking dish.
Adding some sprinkles of cashews and more pomegranate seeds, it went into the oven. After about half an hour, it was done. My kitchen was already filled with the mouthwatering aroma of white chocolate and tahini, as well as a hint of slightly roasting cashews.
What I got in the end was extremely delicious. I hadn’t expected tahini and the white chocolate to blend so well in this White Chocolate Cake with Tahini and Pomegranate. It had a fairly well balanced sweet taste, while the pomegranate seeds offered an extra fruity-fresh contrast. The party was saved 😉
- 1 pomegranate seeded
- 3 oz (100 g) vegan white chocolate
- 1/2 cup (50 g) cashews
- 2 Tbs aluminum free baking powder
- 2 cups (250 g) whole spelt flour or almond flour
- 4 Tbs of ground flax or chia seeds mixed with 14 Tbs of water (let sit for about 10 minutes until you have a egg texture)
- 1/3 cup (80 g) muscavado sugar, or maple, or agave
- 1 Tbs Vanilla extrakt
- 1/3 cup (80 ml) Tahini Paste
- 1 Tbs Olive oil extra virgine
- 1 Tsp salt
- Preheat oven 375°F (190°C).
- Bring a saucepan to heat, melt the chocolate (don’t let it burn), then let cool for about 5 minutes.
- In a bowl combine the chocolate, flour, flaxseeds mixture (or chia), baking powder, vanilla, and muscavado. Mix with wooden spoon or spatula and carefully fold in the pomegranate seeds (leave some for garnish).
- Transfer the dough into a baking dish prepared with parchment paper, garnish with cashew nuts and the remaining pomegranate seeds.
- Bake for about 30 minutes. Let cool a bit before serving.