This Easy Homemade Lasagna is made with tender lasagna sheets that are layered in a hearty, meaty tomato sauce, and creamy cheesy filling. This is the only lasagna recipe you will need, because the texture and flavors are what everyone loves and that is what one always comes back to. I tell you homemade lasagna is one of the most amazing comfort foods in the entire universe, because it is such a great family meal that even pickiest eaters will eat.
Why you want to make this Easy Homemade Lasagna
For me, one of the biggest advantages of this easy homemade Lasagna is that you don’t have to make a white sauce, which is typically made from flour, butter and milk. Instead, I use dairy free ricotta which makes everything so good.
Also I know that there are many recipes that tell you to cook your meat sauce for around 4 hours. But I find there is absolutely no need to. You can have a great sauce in a just couple of minutes.
I precook the lasagna sheets, because I find the texture is so much better.
I’ll show you everything in my step by step pictures. Sometimes it is better to see visually what to do.
You can make this really easily at home, but here is what makes my Easy Homemade Lasagna over the top amazing:
I use a combination of tomato sauce and paste which makes this lasagna dish so flavorful and provides an amazing bold texture. I find the tomato paste really gives that sauce so much deeper taste.
Noodles: I cook the lasagna noodles for 5 minutes to make the texture even better. Keep in mind that your water is boiling before adding the sheets to it. Always watch and stir your pasta! This step helps the pasta to release their starch. After boiling, give the pasta in a colander.
For meal prep, make the pasta in advance: layer them on a lightly greased surface with olive oil. This helps that it doesn’t stick together.
Vegan ground beef: this provides such an amazing meaty texture and makes everything so hearty. I really like how the texture turns out like in a traditional lasagna, but even better.
Dairy free ricotta: I love this shortcut ingredient. It adds so much richness, great flavor, creaminess and convenience, without even attempting to make a white sauce.
Water: I use a little bit to ensure to create the perfect saucy texture. I find out adding water from the tab is a really great way, because without water it didn’t get saucy enough.
The seasoning with oregano, fresh parsley, garlic and onions: The flavors between fresh seasonings and dried herbs really provide an amazing fresh and tasty flavor. You have fresh garlic, onion and a bit fresh parsley along with dried oregano in the sauce and cheesy mixture.
For the cheesy filling: vegan parmesan, ricotta and mozzarella makes everything so satisfying and amazing.
How to make the Easy Homemade Lasagna
Preheat your oven to 390°F and set a 10 x 10 inch casserole dish. Also reserve some aluminum foil for later.
Cook the lasagna noodles in salted boiling water for around 5 minutes. Don’t forget to stir constantly.
For making the meaty sauce
Add olive oil to a pan. Fry vegan ground beef with diced onions and garlic for around 3 minutes. Add tomato sauce, tomato paste, oregano, and half of the parsley. Season with a pinch of salt and pepper to taste. Heat and ten set aside.
For making the cheesy mixture
In a mixing bowl, combine ricotta with remaining parsley, 3/4 of the mozzarella and parmesan. Lightly season with a pinch of salt and pepper.
Layering the lasagna
Start with about 1/2 cup of meat sauce, followed by 2 lasagna noodles, then 1/3 cup of the cheesy mixture. Repeat until everything is used, and the last layer should be sauce.
Bake for around 20 minutes with aluminum foil on top. Then, remove the foil and top the Easy Homemade Lasagna with the reserved cheeses and bake for 10 minutes more.
Make sure to let the lasagna sit for 15 minutes after baking. This will help to settle the great texture, so it doesn’t get runny.
Leftovers can be stored in the fridge for around 5 days.
You can freeze the Easy Homemade Lasagna uncooked or cooked in your casserole. Cover tightly with a plastic wrap. Now use aluminum foil to top your casserole, because this is what prevents freezer burn.
Make sure to let everything cool completely and it will freeze greatly for around 3 months.
Tips and tricks for the Easy Homemade Lasagna
Stir in some veggies, if you want to: celery or carrots are great for texture.
Other great lasagna recipes that you will love
- Spinach Lasagna – with fresh spinach, tastes so good and is a keeper.
- Zucchini Lasagna – Zucchini are an amazing substitute for lasagna noodles. Along with the other tasty ingredients this lasagna is so delicious and satisfying.
- Eggplant Lasagna – the most amazing eggplant lasagna you’ve ever made and tried. This tastes great and is so easy to prepare.
- 14 oz vegan ground beef
- 8 lasagna noodles (use gf, if you want to)
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 10 oz vegan mozzarella shreds
- 2 tsp oregano
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup onions, diced
- 1 lbs dairy free ricotta
- 7 oz tomato paste
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley
- 24 oz tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 cup vegan parmesan
- salt, pepper to taste
- Preheat your oven to 390°F and set a casserole dish (size 10x10 inches) ready.
- Cook your lasagna noodles all dente. This is reached after 5 minutes.
- Preparing the sauce: Heat 2 Tbsp of the olive oil in a large pan. Add vegan ground beef, garlic, and onions and brown everything for around 3 minutes.
- Add tomato sauce and paste, oregano, half of the freshly chopped parsley, and cook for 2 minutes more. Season with a pinch of salt and pepper.
- For the cheesy mixture: In a bowl combine ricotta, 3/4 of the mozzarella, parmesan and remaining parsley. Add a pinch salt and pepper, mix and set aside.
- Assembling the lasagna: Start with 3/4 cup of the meat sauce on the bottom of your casserole dish. Add 2 lasagna noodles on top, then spoon 1/3 cup of the cheese mixture. Repeat until everything is gone. At the end you should have a layer of sauce.
- Cover with aluminum foil, don't skip this otherwise your lasagna will be dried out. Bake for around 20 minutes, then remove the foil.
- Top with reserved mozzarella and parmesan and bake for 10 minutes more.
- Finally out of the oven, let it rest for at least 15 minutes. This is important for an amazing texture, so it doesn't get soggy. Serve on plates and enjoy.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1.5 cups
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 602Total Fat: 27gSaturated Fat: 15gTrans Fat: -gUnsaturated Fat: 9gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 1779mgCarbohydrates: 35gFiber: 4gSugar: 9gProtein: 34g