No collection of vegan recipes can be complete without a vegan burger recipe – or two. It takes only four ingredients to make my new Vegan Lentil Burger patty. It’s perfect with the sweet and spicy flavors of the creamy Mustard Sauce with Maple I created specifically for this burger.
I don’t know about you guys but I have lots of fun making burgers. Yes, and eating burgers. But isn’t that the whole point of happy cooking? A combination of fun in creation and enjoying your creativity. At least that’s what drives me to come up with new recipes for Contentedness Cooking.
After my last burger recipe, the Vegan Buffalo Burger based on kidney beans and tempeh, it was the right time trying something new for me: a Vegan Lentil Burger – incredibly delicious and an easy recipe as usual. Do you know my other lentil recipes? Like the Coconut-Mango Stew or my Couscous Lentil Pilaf?
Why lentils? Because (a) I just like their taste and (b) they are so good for you: They are full of good nutrients, are a good source of plant-based protein and are have a number of health benefits such as low cholesterol, improving heart health, digestive health, increasing energy, and helping with weight loss. If you want to know more about this, check out the post about the “7 Health Benefits of Lentils” on MindBodyGreen.
The best thing about the Vegan Lentil Burger recipe – besides its taste, obviously – is that you need as little as four ingredients to make the patties: lentils, raisins, walnuts, and gluten free bread crumbs. A combination of more earthy flavors (lentil) with a touch of sweetness from the raisins and, of course, the nuttily walnut component. Here this is complemented by the special Mustard Sauce with Maple: again a mix of spicy and sweet. I recommend adding about 2 tablespoons of that sauce to the burger patty mixture for an extra flavor kick.
You can either bake the patties for the vegan Lentil Burger in the oven or fry them in a pan with a little bit of your favorite oil. For the assembly of the burger: be creative! I used lettuce, avocado, tomatoes, roasted red onions in addition to the Mustard Sauce. Do you like this combination? I’m curious to hear what you think of my Vegan Lentil Burger! You can leave feedback below, or write me on Facebook!
- 3 Tbs yellow mustard
- 4 Tbs maple syrup
- pinch curry (optional)
- 1 cup (200 g) uncooked or two 14 oz (400 g) cans lentils
- ⅓ cup (50 g) raisins
- 1 cup gf bread crumbs
- ½ cup (60 g) crushed walnuts
- 2 Tbs Mustard Sauce (optional)
- roasted onions
- Combine the yellow mustard and the maple syrup in a small bowl. Add a pinch of curry if you like and whisk together.
- If you use uncooked lentils, cook them according to the manufacturer's instructions. Else rinse the canned lentils. Transfer to a blender.
- Add the raisins and walnuts to the lentils. Blend until you get a chunky mixture.
- In a separate bowl, combine the lentil mixture with bread crumbs. Let sit for 5-10 minutes so that the bread crumbs can absorb excess moisture.
- Form patties an either bake them on the oven at 390°F/200°C or fry them in a pan with a bit of oil (recommended).
- Use your favorite bun and burger toppings to assemble the Vegan Lentil Burger.