Chicken Noodle Casserole is made with noodles, vegan chicken, vegetables, all covered in a creamy and satisfying sauce. Baked to cheesy perfection of course with panko breadcrumbs for an unforgettable topping. A family meal that everyone won’t get enough of, because it tastes always great.
Casserole recipes are great, because you can make them ahead of time. Store them in the fridge and bake whenever you want and need.
These make a big batch and that is great to feed a large crowd or you can eat the whole week.
Why you should make this Chicken Noodle Casserole
This Chicken Noodle Casserole is no exception and here are good reasons to make it easily at home:
All you need are some easy ingredients to make an easy meal that tastes like in a good restaurant.
That cheesy and crunchy topping is definitely the highlight what makes this casserole what it is. You have a crunch and melting in your mouth feeling at the same time.
No need for a canned soup or making a white sauce. I keep it simple my way as I always do.
What you need for Chicken Noodle Casserole recipe
You can use any noodles you like and want. Of course any pasta is great here as well, think of spaghetti, fusilli, macaroni or any other. The difference between noodles and pasta is that noodles have a finer flour than pasta or are made with different flours.
Garlic and onions are classic ingredients in almost any casserole. Add great texture and for sure a great layering of flavor.
Mayo and milk are used in the sauce base. So you won’t need any canned soups or have to make a white sauce. I use dairy free mayo and oat milk, but use what you like.
Carrots and peas add great color and texture. Makes this Chicken Noodle Casserole pop. Add dairy free parmesan cheese and cheddar for an intense cheesy flavor.
Hot sauce is an unexpected ingredient for sure, but I find this is great to add a lot of flavor. In my gusto if preparing something delicious with garlic and onions it needs something more. This is when the hot sauce comes into play and makes everything even more wonderful.
How to make Chicken Noodle Casserole
Prepare noodles according package directions. Cook them or just soak them up. This will depend if you are using noodles or pasta.
Cook chicken and vegetables
Heat olive oil in a skillet. Then add onions, garlic, chicken, and carrots. Cook all for around 3 minutes. Mix in the peas
In a large mixing bowl, combine noodles, mayo, milk with the chicken and vegetables from the pan, 3/4 of the cheddar, all of the parmesan, hot sauce, and finally a pinch salt of pepper.
Transfer casserole and bake
Preheat oven to 410F and get a casserole dish.
Transfer everything from the mixing bowl to the casserole dish, add panko breadcrumbs on top, followed by the remaining cheese.
Bake the Chicken Noodle Casserole for around 15 minutes, then serve in bowls or on plates.
Tips and tricks
Leftovers can be stored in the fridge for around 4 days.
For freezing, let the Chicken Noodle Casserole cool off completely. Then transfer to a freezer safe container and freeze for 3 months.
For meal prep you can prepare everything in advance for around 2 days and bake then. Keep in mind the breadcrumbs should be go on top just before baking. Otherwise they will probably get soggy.
- 8 oz noodles
- 4 Tbs dairy free mayo
- 1 cup oat milk
- 2 Tbs olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, pressed
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 dashes hot sauce
- 3/4 cup dairy free parmesan cheese
- 11 oz vegan chicken, roughly cut
- 1 cup peas
- 1/2 cup carrots, diced
- 5 oz vegan cheddar
- 3 Tbs panko breadcrumbs
- salt, pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 410F.
- Cook noodles or just soak them up. This will depend if you are using noodles or pasta.
- Into a skillet add olive oil and when hot also the onions, garlic, chicken, and carrots. Cook for 3 minutes, then mix in the peas.
- Take a large mixing bowl, and transfer the noodles, mayo, milk, chicken and vegetables from the pan, 3/4 of cheddar, all of the parmesan, and hot sauce to it.
- Mix well and season with a pinch of salt of pepper.
- Give everything into a casserole dish, top with panko breadcrumbs on top together with remaining cheese.
- Bake for around 15 minutes.
- You can store leftovers in the fridge for around 4 days.
- To freeze: cool off completely, then transfer to a freezer safe container and freeze for 3 months.
- Meal prep: prepare everything in advance for around 2 days and bake then. Add breadcrumbs only before baking. Otherwise they will get soggy and mushy.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 556Total Fat: 26gSaturated Fat: 15gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 912mgCarbohydrates: 35gFiber: 5gSugar: 2gProtein: 35g