Chicken Riggies are made with a creamy and spicy tomato sauce, spicy red peppers, amazing seasonings and of course plant based chicken. An amazing 15 minute meal with bold and big flavors that you can easily make at home. You can use any pasta you like, but it is always made with riggies aka rigatoni. Think about a pasta recipe that checks all the boxes: creamy, spicy, satisfying and just flavor in each and every bite. Not to mention budget friendly and filling.
Reasons to make Chicken Riggies
Great textures from bell and spicy peppers combined with amazing flavors from the seasonings.
Chicken Riggies are really effortless and ridiculously easy to prepare.
The recipe is really flexible: you can make your rigatoni ahead, use leftovers or cook them fresh while you make the sauce.
Creamy sauce is great, with a really nice balance of a little bit of a kick and heat with the other ingredients.
What you need for this Chicken Riggies recipe
As I said you can make your rigatoni before, use leftovers or cook them fresh – totally up to you. Besides you will need the following.
Onions and garlic of course. wWhat’s a great dish without them? These are always there for great flavor.
I know some recipes use diced tomatoes, but I find tomato paste really, really great as it adds a wonderful texture and there isn’t any need to smoothen things up which can be a thing with diced tomatoes.
Olive oil is great for a savory and solid flavor. Any other oil will work, but it wouldn’t be as intense as with olive oil.
I use plant based chicken which makes a great texture and amazing flavor.
Non dairy heavy cream, oat milk, and parmesan: with all we add a lot of creaminess, richness and great cheesy flavor. Makes Chicken Riggies round about comforting and so well balanced like a meal in a great restaurant.
Smoked paprika and oregano are great seasonings whenever flavor is needed. You definitely can’t go wrong.
For a little bit of a kick, who doesn’t love it? I think we all can say chili flakes and spicy red peppers are unmistakably delicious. For the spicy red peppers you can go easily really flexible: jalapenos, chilis or if you can find them cherry peppers are great.
How to make Chicken Riggies
If you don’t have your pasta ready, cook them according to the package directions.
In a pan or casserole, heat olive oil. Wait until hot, then add onions, garlic, bell peppers, plant based chicken and cook for around 3 minutes.
Add chili flakes, smoked paprika, oregano, spicy red peppers, tomato paste, cream, milk, salt and pepper. Mix well.
Cook for 4 minutes, add in rigatoni and serve on plates or in bowls.
Tips and tricks
Leftovers can be stored for around 4 days.
Freezing can be done for around 3 months. Always let cool completely and for reheating don’t forget to thaw which is best overnight.
You can easily make a bigger batch to feed a larger crowd.
Other pasta recipes to try
- 7 oz rigatoni
- 2 Tbs olive oil
- 1/2 cup onions, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, pressed
- 10 oz plant based chicken, cubed
- 1 cup tomato paste
- 1 cup non dairy heavy cream
- 1/2 cup oat milk
- 1/3 cup dairy free parmesan cheese
- 4 spicy red peppers
- 1/2 tsp chili flakes
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- salt, pepper to taste
- It is a good time to cook rigatoni according the package directions, if you don't have them ready. Forget everything and use your leftover pasta as I do and skip this step.
- In a pan, add olive oil wait until hot. Give onions, garlic, bell peppers, plant based chicken to the oil and cook for approximately 3 minutes.
- Add in chili flakes, smoked paprika, oregano, spicy red peppers, tomato paste, cream milk, salt and pepper.
- Mix everything and let the sauce simmer 4 minutes more.
- Finally mix in rigatoni, serve and enjoy.
- Leftovers are great for around 4 days.
- Freezing for around 3 months. Cool completely and for reheating thaw completely as well. You can reheat on the stove or microwave.
- You can easily make a bigger batch to feed a larger crowd
Nutrition Information:Yield: 3 Serving Size: 2 cups
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 551Total Fat: 18gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 9gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 406mgCarbohydrates: 48gFiber: 6gSugar: 2gProtein: 29g