Chicken Spaghetti is the ultimate comfort food that tastes so amazing and is made without canned soups. Made with plant based chicken, great seasonings for flavor and lots of cheesy goodness. This is seriously one of those easy casserole recipes that you and your family will make on repeat.
Reasons to make Chicken Spaghetti
One simple ingredient that transforms your Chicken Spaghetti to mile high fantastic are French fried onions. They add so much flavor and an amazing crunchy texture.
I know it is not your typical ingredient, but let me tell you this makes everything so much better and a big difference.
To save a good amount of time I precook my spaghetti. There is no need to wait for the pasta to be done, even less if you have leftover pasta.
You don’t need canned soups or to make a white sauce.
I simply mix everything together and if you can do this you can make this casserole in no time.
Sharing step by step pictures with you, see how easy and fuss free everything comes together.
What you need for this Chicken Spaghetti recipe
Spaghetti: you can use regular or thin spaghetti. That is just up to you.
Olive oil: I really like the savory flavor from this oil and I find it adds so much complex and amazing flavor.
Onions, garlic: Do I need say more? A great casserole lives from garlic and onions. Both as as essential as a pinch of salt and pepper.
I use French Fried Onions divided in the casserole and for the toping. If you don’t want to make them yourself, just buy your favorite from the supermarket.
Peas and red bell peppers add great texture and makes our spaghetti dish pop.
Non dairy cream cheese, cheddar cheese and milk form our cheesy sauce: mix, combine and you are ready to enjoy.
Smoked paprika and chili flakes: I simply use chili flakes and smoked paprika for a little bit of a heat, because one will typically find chilis or rotel tomatoes (just thinking about this Rotel Dip 😋).
How to make Chicken Spaghetti
Preheat your oven to 410F.
Cook chicken with vegetables
Heat olive oil in a large frying pan.
Add diced onions, pressed garlic, and diced bell peppers. Fry everything for a minute until the onions soften slightly. Then add the chicken and cook everything for 4 minutes.
Finally add peas and cook for 2 minutes more.
In a large mixing bowl combine the cooked spaghetti, chicken mixture from the pan, milk, cream cheese, 3/4 of the cheddar and French fried onions. Season with smoked paprika, chili flakes and a pinch salt of pepper. Make sure everything is mixed well.
Bake the Chicken Spaghetti
Transfer everything to a 10×10 inch casserole and sprinkle the remaining French fried onions and cheddar on top.
Bake for around 15 minutes. Serve on plates or in bowls.
Tips and tricks
Leftovers can be stored for around 4 days.
If you need to reheat the Chicken Spaghetti, it works well in the oven or microwave.
For freezing, let it cool completely before transferring to a freezer container or individual portions. You can keep it in the freezer for around 3 months. Keep in mind to let everything thaw completely before reheating.
To make ahead, I suggest you just combine everything for around 2 days and bake when you are ready.
Casserole Recipes to try
- Tuna Noodle Casserole
- Chicken and Rice Casserole
- Cheeseburger Casserole
- Cowboy Casserole
- Cabbage Roll Casserole
- Taco Casserole
- Zucchini Casserole
- 8 oz spaghetti
- 12 oz plant based chicken
- 2 Tbs olive oil
- 1/2 cup onions, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, pressed
- 1/2 tsp chili flakes
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 6 oz non dairy cream cheese
- 1,5 cups oat milk
- 7 oz dairy free cheddar cheese
- 4 oz French fried onions
- 1.5 cups peas
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- salt, pepper to taste
Cook chicken with vegetables
- Into a large pan, heat olive oil. When hot, add onions, garlic, and bell pepper.
- Cook for about a minute, then add chicken and cook everything for 4 minutes.
- Finally add peas and cook for 2 minutes more.
Combine ingredients in a bowl
- In a large mixing bowl combine spaghetti, chicken mixture from the pan, milk, cream cheese, 3/4 of the cheddar and French fried onions.
- Season with smoked paprika, chili flakes and a pinch of salt of pepper.
Bake and enjoy
- Transfer to a 10x10 casserole dish. Give remaining French fried onions and cheddar on top.
- Bake for around 15 minutes.
- Leftovers are great for around 4 days and reheating can be done in the oven or microwave.
- For freezing: let cool completely, store in a freezer container or make individual portions and the Chicken Spaghetti will last for around 3 months. Be sure for reheating to first thaw completely.
- Make ahead: you can prepare everything for around 2 days and bake whenever you want to.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1.5 cups
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 699Total Fat: 19gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 601mgCarbohydrates: 55gFiber: 8gSugar: 2gProtein: 33g