Sausage and peppers is an amazing and satisfying combo made with vegan sausage, bell peppers and wonderful seasonings. This is a winner on its own or served over pasta, rice, polenta, a hoagie roll or sandwich. An easy meal that comes together really fast and can be prepared so versatile: cooked on the stove, prepared on a sheet pan or made in the instant pot. You taste this is seriously the best sausage and peppers recipe you’ve made.
Here are reasons to make this Sausage and Peppers
Italian sausage and peppers is the mother of comfort food, because it always has and will lots of amazing flavors. There are things which makes this easy recipe a keeper:
First, it is a really flexible and versatile recipe. No matter what you want and how you prepare it. I share everything with you and you can count on an amazing result.
I love the fact that I can eat it up alone as a meal, or make a sandwich. But friends it is really great with pasta and some delicious tomato sauces like my Spaghetti Sauce, Pomodoro Sauce, or Arrabbiata Sauce.
A great meal to make in advance or a bigger batch.
What you need for this Sausage and Peppers recipe
Besides basic ingredients like olive oil, onions and garlic, you will need the following:
I like different textures and flavors so I add a red and yellow bell pepper which tastes great and make this meal pop.
Vegan sausage: for a hearty and meaty texture. You can chop your sausages roughly or evenly finer. But I like them roughly chopped I find it tastes better and bolder. Also jalapeno sausage is great, if you are looking to switch things up.
Red Pepper flakes, also know as crushed peppers for many of you, add a great spicy kick and heat to the Sausage and Peppers. Oregano in contrast is more than a seasoning for pizza or sauce. It adds a robust and earthy flavor.
Red vinegar is most delicious, because it brings a great level of acidity. Not too strong and just with the right amount of sweetness.
I finish my Sausage and Peppers with a great portion of freshly chopped parsley and that taste delicious. Adds great freshness and flavor to the final result, yum.
How to make Sausage and Peppers
I said it above, this dish is really versatile you can prepare it in different ways:
On the stove
In a casserole or pan heat olive, add sausages and brown them according the package directions. Mine took 10 minutes to do that. Remove them from pan, set aside and chop roughly when a bit cold.
Add garlic, bell pepper and onions to the same pan. Stir in red vinegar, oregano, red pepper flakes and cook them for 15 minutes. Add a pinch salt of pepper.
At this point add sausage back and let everything in pan on medium heat for around 5 minutes. Serve Sausage and Peppers with parsley, if you want to.
On the sheet pan
Preheat your oven to 410F.
On to the sheet pan, add all bell peppers, onions, garlic, sausage. Add vinegar, olive oil, red pepper flakes, oregano and a pinch salt and pepper.
Mix everything with your hands or spatula and bake for 20 minutes, serve with parsley.
In the instant pot
Select the sauté function. Wait until hot, then add half of the oil to your instant pot. Fry sausages for around 2 minutes, then remove.
Next add remaining oil with onions, garlic, bell pepper, and cook for 3 minutes. Switch your instant pot off.
Give vinegar, oregano, red pepper flakes, and sausage back into the pot.
Set the instant pot to high pressure for 3 minutes. Don’t’ forget to close the lid. Turn on quick release. It does take some time which depends on the used model. This is the time that you need to add to your high pressure time. Let’s say: your release time takes 10 minutes, then add them to your high pressure time from 3 minutes on top. This will take in total 13 minutes.
After release, open the lid carefully. It can be hot and serve with sprinkles of parsley.
Tips and tricks
These are my storing tips which are also great for meal prep:
Leftovers are great for around 4 days. Freezing can be done in reusable bags for 3 months.
For defrosting and reheating: overnight in the fridge is best. Reheating can be done in the microwave or on the stove on medium heat. Keep in mind to use and add little bit of water or oil.
Note every sausage needs different times. Mine takes 10 minutes, check package direction to make sure the exact time.
Other sausage recipes to try
- 4 vegan sausages
- 2 Tbs olive oil
- 1/3 cup onions, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, roughly chopped
- 1 yellow bell pepper, roughly chopped
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1/4 tsp oregano
- 1/4 cup red vinegar
- 2 Tbs parsley, chopped
- salt, pepper to taste
On the stove
- Heat oil in a pan, add sausages and cook them according to package directions. Remove and chop.
- Next add bell peppers, onions, garlic, vinegar, oregano, crushed peppers (red pepper flakes). Cook them for 15 minutes and season with a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Return the sausage to the pan and cook everything properly for 5 minutes, serve with parsley.
- Preheat oven to 410F.
- On a sheet pan, add sausage, bell peppers, garlic, onions, red pepper, flakes, vinegar, oil, salt pepper and mix.
- Bake for 20 minutes, serve, garnish with parsley.
- Start with the sauté function of your instant pot. Wait until hot. Now add half of the oil, cook sausages for around 2 minutes, remove.
- Use reserved oil, add bell peppers, onions, garlic. Cook for around 3 minutes, turn the device off.
- Next stir in vinegar and sausages back, close the lid set to high pressure for 3 minutes. Turn on quick release, you can expect to add the time from quick release depending on your model to the high pressure time.
- For example say your release time takes 10 minutes, then add them to your high pressure time from 3 minutes on top. This step will take in total 13 minutes.
- Finally open lid carefully. It can be hot and serve as you like with parsley.
Leftovers can be enjoy for 4 days. For freezing and reheating: It can be freeze for 3 months in suitable bags or containers. Always thaw completely, add a splash water or oil for reheating. You can use a pan on the stove or microwave.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 2 cups
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 308Total Fat: 16gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 712mgCarbohydrates: 9gFiber: 1gSugar: 3gProtein: 9g