Vegan Hoppin John is made with fresh ingredients in a few easy steps this easy Hoppin John recipe is perfect for New Year celebrations. Get your dose of spicy tofu, black eyed beans (or black eyed peas), and greens and make your start of your year vegan and gluten free.
Contentedness Cooking is now half a year old. And I can’t really decide if it is ‘already’ or ‘only’ half a year. ‘Already’ because time seems to have flown by like crazy. ‘Only’ if I consider how much I learned and improved in this time. Talk about steep learning curves… In any case, I’m happy to be here.
And I’m very happy that there a already so many friends and followers. I love to read all your feedback and to see that you like this place so much that you think it’s worth to come back here again and again. Thank you all for that!
Today I want to celebrate this occasion with you by giving you a recipe that is said to bring good luck – for me, for Contentedness Cooking, and for you! I’m talking about my Vegan Hoppin John. I know it’s more of a tradition to make it for New Year- but hey, my blog is staring its second half year so that is almost the same. 😉
How to make a Vegan Hoppin John?
It’s a very simple recipe – one that you probably need after the heavy partying the night before :). It’s base is cooked rice and you can go with whatever is your preferred choice here. If you want to avoid cooking black eyed peas (cooking black eyed beans), just take organic one from a can.
I roasted tofu cubes that I briefly marinated in a spicy mixture. You can go here with harissa paste, or make a quick mix of chili pepper and a dash of olive oil. That depends on whether you prefer it slightly spicy or really hot. On the top of the Vegan Hoppin John go chopped greens, such as green bell pepper and scallions that have been shortly fried or roasted without oil.
That is truly all that there is to it. Simple and quick – and a lot of luck! 😉 Happy celebrations!
- 15 oz (400 g) black-eyed beans
- 1 green bell pepper
- 1 bunch scallions
- 6 oz (180 g) smoked tofu
- 1 1/2 cups uncooked rice
- 1-2 Tbs olive oil
- hot sauce
- salt, pepper to taste
- Cook the rice according to the package instructions.
- Wash and seed the bell pepper and the scallions. Chop into small bits and set aside.
- Chop the tofu into small dices, season with salt and pepper, and hot sauce (about 1 Tbs - more when you are brave).
- Heat 1Tbs of olive oil in a sauce pan, add the seasoned tofu and fry on high for a couple of minutes.
- Reduce heat and add the beans for 2-3 minutes. Set aside.
- Heat the remaining olive oil or just add the greens to the frying pan. Fry/roast for a couple of minutes until they have the softness you like.
- Serve the rice with a good amount of the tofu-bean and pepper-scallions mixtures on top
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1 cup
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 276Total Fat: 2gSaturated Fat: 0.6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 1.2gCholesterol: 8.6mgSodium: 82mgCarbohydrates: 52gFiber: 6.2gSugar: 3.6gProtein: 12g