Of all sweet potato recipes, my new Vegan Sweet Potato Soup with Kale is not only easy to make but it also combines the richness of a potato soup with the healthy boost of a kale soup. Trust me, there is nothing better than my Vegan Sweet Potato Soup with Kale for a gloomy fall day!
When the days get shorter and colder, I often long for a hot soup to warm me up. I know that it works like this for many other people as well.
Especially in fall, people seem to crave, for example, creamy potato soups even more than the rest of the year. This time, it is no different and I was thinking about how I could give myself an amazing vegan treat in that situation. Because I’m such a fan, I’d rather have a sweet potato soup than using normal potatoes.
Checking among my sweet potato recipes, I realized that I already did have a Coconut-Mango Stew with sweet potatoes – but somehow that didn’t have the right fall spirit that I was looking for. It’s an amazing summer dish, though.
Why not a Vegan Sweet Potato Soup?
What would I need to add to sweet potato dishes so that I got the fall note I was looking for? One thing that is always a winner for me is adding apples. And then – some of you might have read my kale recipes here and here – I’ve started to get very fond of kale in pestos or in a casserole.
Here, however, I wanted to go more into the direction of a kale soup or stew and combine the richness of a potato soup recipe with the health boost coming from the kale soup.
So this is how my Vegan Sweet Potato Soup with Kale was born: I briefly cooked diced sweet potato in coconut milk, added apples, kale, onion and let it cook a bit more.
The beauty of this recipe is that it is not only tasty and healthy but also super easy to make. As a fine extra, I sprinkled the finished soup with roasted pine nuts. What a flavor bomb!
- 2 large sweet potatoes
- 2 15 oz (400 ml) cans full fat coconut milk
- 4 handfuls of chopped kale
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 1/2 - 2 apples, chopped
- salt, pepper, curry (optional)
- roasted pine nuts for garnish
- Start out with preparing the ingredients. Peel and dice the sweet potatoes. Wash and chop the kale, anion, and apples.
- Bring the coconut milk to a boil in a large saucepan. Add the sweet potato dices and cook on medium heat for about 5 minutes.
- Add the kale, onion, and apples to the saucepan. Season with salt, pepper, and optionally curry according to taste. Let simmer for another 10 minutes.
- In the meantime, roast the pine nuts in a frying pan.
- Serve the stew hot with a good amount of the roasted pine nuts.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 2 cups
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 150Total Fat: 5.4gSaturated Fat: 3.1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 1.7gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 111mgCarbohydrates: 23gFiber: 2gSugar: 13gProtein: 2.7g