These Baked Beans are sugar-free, delicious, and super easy to make with simple ingredients. White beans are not only great for taste and texture, they simply take this dish to another level. Using canned beans is a great time saver. Enjoy a naturally vegan and gluten free recipe that works both as a main dish or a side.
It is September now which means we are going more and more to fall. During this time, I crave a lot of comfort food like this Cream Corn Casserole or my Jalapeno Popper Mac and Cheese. Both are definitely delicious any time of the year but even more so now.
The beauty of these vegetarian baked beans is that they are a keeper the whole year: no matter if spring, summer, fall, or winter, even the holidays.
You shouldn’t miss these on your holiday table because it definitely goes together well with many things like mashed potatoes, yum.
Because these sugar-free Baked Beans are hearty, satisfying, easy, versatile, budget friendly, texture perfect, filling, taste amazing in and out.
Also these reheat beautifully, are great for meal prep, or to make bigger batches in advance.
You can use ready to make baked beans for real. Some versions are vegan, but I think these often lack in flavor and texture.
Homemade baked beans are so much better. You can beat even that and really made the best baked beans with my recipe. One thing is sure. White beans are my favorite beans. They are so easy to get at any supermarket and really budget friendly.
It is all about texture and taste. But that is not the whole picture. I highly recommend to make my Sugar Free BBQ Sauce, but feel free to use any other. But it won’t be sugar free this way.
What you need for these sugar free baked beans
- (Sugar free) BBQ sauce, prepared
- White beans
- Sugar free ketchup
- Buffalo hot sauce
- Mixed beans
Basically it is just 6 simple baked beans ingredients.
Optional feel free to use:
- Liquid smoke to add a smoky flavor
- Bell pepper
- Smoked paprika for even more taste
- Mushrooms for more almost meaty texture
- Chili powder for a spicy kick
How to make Baked Beans
First you need to preheat your oven to 415°F and also get a 8 inch Dutch oven. If you don’t have one, use a 8×11 inch casserole dish. Now heat a bit of oil or vegetable broth to a pan. Add onions and garlic and fry for 2 minutes. Then add optional bell pepper and mushrooms and fry for 2 minutes more.
Mix everything (beans, fried vegetables, BBQ sauce, ketchup, Buffalo sauce) in the casserole. If you use them, add the optionals like liquid smoke, chili powder, smoked paprika, and cumin. Season with a pinch of salt and pepper.
Bake for around 10 minutes, then serve in bowls or on plates.
Crockpot baked beans
Just add all the ingredients to your slow cooker, except for the salt. You need to add this at the end.
Set a timer to when you want to eat the beans.
Season at the end with a pinch of salt, if needed.
I can’t wait to see all your remakes.
- Sugar Free BBQ Sauce, prepared or your favorite
- 2 14 oz cans white beans, drained
- 1 cup sugar free ketchup
- 1/4 - 1/3 cup buffalo hot sauce
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup onions, diced
- salt, pepper to taste
Optional add ons:
- 1 cup brown mushrooms, chopped
- bell pepper
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp liquid smoke
- You need to preheat your oven to 415°F and also get a 8 inch Dutch oven. If you don't have one, use a 8x11 inch casserole dish. Now heat a bit of oil or vegetable broth to a pan. Add onions and garlic and fry for 2 minutes. Then add optional bell pepper and mushrooms and fry for 2 minutes more.
- Mix everything (beans, fried vegetables, BBQ sauce, ketchup, Buffalo sauce) in the casserole. If you use them, add the optionals like liquid smoke, chili powder, smoked paprika, and cumin. Season with a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Bake for around 10 minutes, then serve in bowls or on plates.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1 cup
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 170Total Fat: 0.6gSaturated Fat: 0.1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0.3gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 266mgCarbohydrates: 28.1gFiber: 6.8gSugar: 1.7gProtein: 9.5g