Broccoli Cheddar Soup is epitome of comfort food: rich, cheesy, with lots of fresh broccoli along with carrots, garlic and onions. This 30 minute recipe is a winner any time you want it. No need to go to a restaurant, you can make it cheap at a fraction of cost at home.
Reasons to love this Broccoli Cheddar Soup
- The flavors are spot on and so delicious. You will be sure to make a double or triple batch, because this is simply so good.
- For the texture: you can decide yourself if you prefer a chunkier or smoother soup. Use an immersion blender like I do and puree until you reach the desired texture.
- I use mustard and this my friends takes this soup over the top amazing. I see some recipes that uses nutmeg which taste great, but mustard does the trick so much more delicious. It seriously adds so much flavor so easily which I find I don’t get with nutmeg in my final result.
- Cheap recipe which can easily doubled up. Also the flavors taste like in a fancy restaurant, yet you won’t believe everything comes so easily together at home.
What you need for this Broccoli Cheddar Soup Recipe
Broccoli: Cut your florets in the same size so they can cook up at the same time. It makes things so much easier for the preparation and texture.
Dairy free butter: I use butter, because I really want to keep everything rich and buttery. Oil can be used, but it won’t be the same result as with butter.
Carrots: You can grate, or julienne them. Adds color and another layering of texture.
Flour is a binder for our white sauce or fancier roux. It thickens up our Broccoli Cheddar Soup and makes it creamy, rich and wonderful.
Vegetable broth and non dairy half and half: these are the liquids for our soup base. Vegetable broth adds lots of flavors and the half and half makes everything so satisfying, creamy, silky and yet so delicious. I find half and half is just the most amazing ingredient for the soup, because just milk is less creamy and rich. Heavy cream is too rich and creamy. I find half and half keeps the right balance between creamy and so satisfying. No half and half? Just mix non dairy cream equal parts with your favorite dairy free milk and mix together. Voila you have half and half in no time.
Garlic and onions are amazing for flavor and make this Broccoli Cheddar Soup really pop.
Vegan cheddar cheese: For the cheddar you can use any you like. Shred it yourself, or use shredded. Just make sure it really melts in the soup and is completely dissolved.
Mustard: this ingredient compliments the other flavors so well. After testing everything I find this is truly the flavor what is missing and really makes all so widely delicious.
How to make Broccoli Cheddar Soup
Make soup base (sauce)
In a pot, melt butter. Then add onions and garlic and cook them for 2 minutes.
Whisk in the flour and slowly pour in the vegetable broth, followed by cream. Let cook for 2 minutes more until everything thickens.
Add broccoli, carrots
Now give the broccoli, carrots, and mustard to the pot. Cook on medium heat for around 12 minutes until soft.
Blend soup or leave it chunky. Use an immersion blender and blend until desired smoothness is reached. Blend your soup entirely or reserve some broccoli for more texture.
Put in cheddar into batches
Ad the cheddar slowly in smaller batches to the soup while stirring. Wait until completely melted, repeat. This is important otherwise the result might be gritty or grainy.
Serve and enjoy.
Serve Broccoli Cheddar Soup in bowls and devour.
Tips and tricks
Leftovers are wonderful for around 4 days. You can reheat the soup on the stove on low heat or in the microwave.
Don’t add the cheddar all at once or it might be turn out in a grainy texture.
Cut broccoli evenly or it won’t cook properly and in the same amount of time.
If you don’t find non dairy half and half here is what you can do: mix non dairy heavy cream with your favorite milk like soy, oat or almond. Equal parts just stir together half of cream and half of milk.
More Soup Recipes to make
- Tomato Soup
- Dumpling Soup
- Mulligatawny Soup
- Taco Soup
- Cheeseburger Soup
- Gnocchi Soup
- Cabbage Roll Soup
- 10 oz bag broccoli florets
- 5 Tbs flour
- 6 Tbs dairy free butter
- 2 medium carrots, shredded
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 3 cloves garlic, pressed
- 1/2 cup onions, chopped
- 10 oz vegan cheddar cheese
- 2 cups non dairy half and half
- 1 tsp mustard
- salt, pepper to taste
- Prepare soup base: In a pot, melt butter and add onions and garlic. Sautee them for 2 minutes.
- Whisk in flour and slowly pour in the vegetable broth and cream while stirring. Cook for 2 minutes more until everything thickens up.
- Cook vegetables in the soup: Add in broccoli, carrots, and mustard. Reduce to medium heat and let simmer for around 12 minutes until the vegetables are soft.
- Control the texture: Blend soup entirely smooth or leave it chunky. Use an immersion blender, blend until desired smoothness .
- Add cheddar in batches: Add cheddar slowly in smaller batches and wait until it has completely melted, repeat.
- Leftovers are great for 4 days. Reheat on the stove on low heat or in the microwave.
- Add the cheddar slowly and not fast or it might be turn in a grainy texture.
- Cut broccoli evenly into small florets or it won't cook properly and in the given amount of time.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1.5 cups
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 481Total Fat: 24gSaturated Fat: 12gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 1210mgCarbohydrates: 28gFiber: 4gSugar: 2gProtein: 24g