Dumpling Soup is loaded with veggies and of course homemade dumplings. It is a cheap recipe that is so easy to make and will impress everyone in no time. You can be sure once tried this vegetarian dumpling soup is a keeper that even picky eaters can’t get enough of it.
Reasons to love this Dumpling Soup
Friends I tell you this dumpling soup recipe is amazing and you will see why:
It is really budget friendly and made with a bunch of easy ingredients that you might have in your cupboard at home.
I test it back and fourth to make a wonderful result with little effort, but the result is complex, delicious and amazing. I would say mission accomplished.
Have a look at my step by step pictures and you know making Dumpling Soup is really easy.
The homemade dumplings makes great biscuits just say it.
For preparing the broccoli, I decided to roast small florets because that adds a lot of flavor and makes a great texture.
What you need for this Dumpling Soup Recipe
We make the dumplings from scratch and I use flour, baking powder (note: if you use self rising flour, leave out baking powder), oat milk, and olive oil. This is pretty solid and great foundation for dumplings.
Carrots, onions and garlic are essential flavor ingredients that also add a lot of texture.
Vegetable broth: this is the liquid that we cook our veggies and dumplings in.
I roast my broccoli while the soup is cooking. Believe it or not, it makes all the difference. It adds lots of flavor and a wonderful crunchy texture.
To make things a bit spicy, I use a small amount of chili flakes to really let all the ingredients and flavors shine. Of course you can happily leave it out if you want to.
Seasonings: dried chives, dill and parsley. Chives and dill both go into the soup while cooking, and I add sprinkle some fresh parsley on top.
How to make Dumpling Soup
In a medium sized bowl combine, flour, baking powder, milk, 4 Tbs olive oil and a pinch of salt and pepper. Mix with a spatula until you get a sticky dough. Form into a ball and cover with a towel on top.
Heat 2 Tbs of olive oil in a large pot. Add onions, garlic and carrots and cook them for around 3 minutes. Add in dill, chives and chili flakes. Next mix in the vegetable broth and bring to a cook. Reduce heat and let the base of the Dumpling Soup simmer.
While the soup is simmering, preheat oven to 410F.
In a small bowl mix broccoli florets with 1 Tbs olive oil and add a pinch salt and pepper. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or use a 9×13 inch baking dish and distribute broccoli evenly. Bake them for around 15 minutes.
With the help of two tablespoons take 1 inch bits of the dough and drop it into the soup. Repeat until all of the dough is used and cook dumplings properly for around 10 minutes.
Finally add in broccoli and sprinkle the Dumpling Soup with fresh parsley on top.
Tips and tricks
Leftovers are delicious for around 4 days and can be heated up on the stove or microwave.
If you want to freeze the Dumpling Soup, let it first cool completely, then transfer to a freezer container. Use it for up to 3 months.
As herbs you can also use thyme, rosemary and sage instead of dill, chives and parsley.
Other soup recipes to make
For remakes of the Dumpling Soup, tag me on Instagram or Facebook.
Dumpling Soup is loaded with veggies and of course homemade dumplings. It is a cheap recipe that is so easy to make and will impress everyone in no time. You can be sure once tried this vegetarian dumpling soup is a keeper that even picky eaters can't get enough of it.
- 1 cup broccoli
- 3 medium carrots, diced
- 1/2 cup onions, diced
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- 7 Tbs olive oil, divided
- 1/2 tsp dried dill
- 1/4 tsp chili flakes
- 1/2 tsp dried chives
- 3 cloves garlic, pressed
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder (see notes)
- 1/2 cup oat milk
- 2 Tbs parsley for garnish
- salt, pepper taste
Make dumpling dough
- In a medium sized bowl, mix flour, baking powder, milk, 4 Tbs olive oil and a pinch salt and pepper. Combine with a spatula until you get a sticky dough. Form with your hands into a ball and cover with a towel on top.
- In a pot heat 2 Tbs olive oil, add onions, garlic and carrots. Cook everything for around 3 minutes. Then add in dill, chives and chili flakes.
- Mix in vegetable broth and cook for 5 minutes more at reduced heat.
- Preheat oven to 410F.
- Use a small bowl and mix broccoli florets with 1 Tbs olive oil and a pinch salt and pepper.
- Prepare a baking sheet or a 9x13 inch baking dish and add broccoli evenly. Bake for 15 minutes.
- Use two tablespoons and take about 1 inch of the dough and drop it into the soup. Repeat until dough is used.
- Cook dumplings properly for around 10 minutes.
- Finally add broccoli and sprinkle with fresh parsley on top.
- Leftovers are great for 4 days and can be reheated on the stove or microwave.
- Freezing: always let the Dumpling Soup cool completely, then add to a freezer container or freezer bag and freeze for around 3 months.
- You can use thyme, rosemary and sage instead of dill, chives and parsley
- As I mentioned above if you self rise flour, do not add any additional baking powder.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1.5 cups
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 269Total Fat: 3gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 831mgCarbohydrates: 27gFiber: 3gSugar: 2gProtein: 4g