California Burritos are delicious, easy to make and with all the fixings like guacamole, salsa, and French fries. This is an easy burrito recipe which will truly become your favorite fast.
Using fries in tortilla wraps isn’t something I do the very first time, because I have already brought you my French Tacos before.
I can truly tell you wouldn’t believe this unexpected addition is so amazing and delicious.
The Idea of California Burritos is also adding French fries, but with the fixings and topping very different, and really, really tasty.
What’s the difference between a burrito and California burrito?
The main difference is that California Burritos have carne asada in it which is typically flank or skirt steak marinated for amazing flavors.
That is when plant based steak comes into play. I use it for carne asada and marinade everything with all these wonderful seasonings you typically find in a carne asada marinade.
Of course on top of that California Burritos always have French fries in them.
What you need for this California Burrito Recipe
Plant based steak marinated with tasty seasonings like garlic, cumin, oregano, paprika, and shallots. As liquid I use a mix from lime, orange juice, oil and soy sauce. Seriously it really makes a great flavor.
Cilantro is going on top after steaks are cooked for a wonderful flavor.
I like to use big wraps, because I can fill them full which in my gusto is absolutely great especially for the French fries going into our burritos, yummy.
Toppings for the California Burritos you can add as much as you like and want. Here are some ideas:
Refried beans and I keep it really simple and use canned which I warmed up on the stove. If you have the time of course you can make them fresh, but canned are absolutely delicious. Nothing wrong about it.
Sour cream and cheese I use both dairy free and I use Tex Mex. Also salsa and guacamole are really delicious and yummy.
How to make California Burritos
This makes 4 large burritos.
In a bowl combine lime, orange juice, paprika, cumin, shallots, garlic, soy sauce, olive oil and season well with a pinch of salt and pepper.
Transfer the marinade to a Ziploc bag. Add steak, close the lid and shake. Marinate for at least 30 minutes.
Preheat oven 410F and bake fries according to the package directions.
Cook the steak
After marinating, give 1 Tbs olive oil to a grilling pan or skillet and heat it up. Also add the steak with all the remaining marinade. Cook everything properly for 8 minutes.
Remove the steak from the pan and cut it into slices. Sprinkle with cilantro.
Make the burritos
Warm your tortillas for 20 seconds in the microwave this will help to hold the filling better. Start assembling the California Burritos with refried beans, add steak. Then follow up with French fries, salsa, guacamole, sour cream and cheese.
I finish with an extra step, which optional: I warm up my grilling pan again and add my burritos and warm them in the pan for 1 minute on each side. You can totally skip this step, but it adds a great crunch and texture to any burrito. Slice in half and serve.
Tips and tricks
Leftovers of the California Burritos can be stored in the fridge for around 4 days. You can reheat on medium heat on the stove or microwave.
Freezing is possible for around 3 months. To do that: wrap in cinq wrap and store in freezer friendly container.
Other recipes to try:
- 4 plant based steaks
- 1 Tbs olive oil
- 4 large wraps
- 1 cup refried beans
- 8 oz French fries
- 1/2 cup non dairy sour cream
- 3/4 cup dairy free cheese
- 1 cup guacamole
- 1/3 cup salsa
- 1/3 cup non-dairy sour cream
For the marinade:
- 2 cloves garlic, pressed
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 jalapeno, chopped
- 1 shallot, chopped
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 lime juiced
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 2 Tbs soy sauce
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- salt, pepper to taste
- Prepare the marinade by combing lime, orange juice, soy sauce, garlic, olive oil, jalapenos, shallots, oregano, cumin, paprika and finally a pinch of salt plus pepper.
- Use a Ziploc bag, add marinade and steak, marinate for at least 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 410F, add fries to a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Bake them according to manufacturer's directions.
- Add 1 Tbs olive oil into a hot grilling pan or skillet.
- Cook steak with remaining marinade for around 8 minutes.
- Remove the steaks from the pan and cut them into slices.
- Add fresh cilantro after cooking on top to the steaks.
- Warm tortilla wraps in the microwave or skillet for around 20 seconds.
- To fill the burritos, start with adding refried beans, steak, fries, salsa, guacamole, sour cream and cheese.
- Serve or take an extra step: roll the burritos and give them into a grilling pan and warm for 1 minute on each side, then slice into half.
- Leftovers are great for around 4 days in the fridge. Store in an airtight container.
- For freezing: Wrap in cling wrap into a freezer friendly container and you can leave it in the freezer for around 3 months.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 722Total Fat: 23gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 11gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 178mgCarbohydrates: 39gFiber: 16gSugar: 4gProtein: 12g