I recently reviewed some data from my blog and stumbled upon an overview about what people had entered in the search field. And guess what, I was totally stunned by the fact that many had looked for cucumber salad recipes. Cucumber salad? Really!?! OK, you asked and you shall have! 😉
I had never given much thought to this, I have to admit. And I found making a simple cucumber salad a tad boring. So I just had to make this one that you cannot only enjoy one way but two ways! It’s still a five-ingredient-only recipe and doesn’t even need a single cooking plate – so it should be easy enough for everybody (another request I got ;)).
Here is all you have to do: chop your cucumbers into thin slices. One could start a page-long discussion on whether you prefer cucumbers peeled before or not – apart from the fact that they look much better with skin. I went for the middle ground and peeled finger-wide strips off only. Feel free to do whatever you prefer.
The dressing is totally straightforward: plant-based yoghurt, a bit of garlic, salt and pepper, and thinly sliced hot pepper. That’s the mild version. If you want to go spicy, simply add a bit of red thai paste or any other hot paste to the dressing. I used organic Ajvar. Beautiful color and deliciously hot taste!
That’s it. Time to enjoy this “Cucumber Salad 2 ways” on its own, with some bread, or as a side!Print
- 1 large or 2 small cucumbers
- 1 hot chili
- 8 oz (250 g) plant-based yoghurt
- 1–2 cloves of garlic
- salt, pepper
- 2 tsp thai paste or similar hot sauce/paste (for the spicy version)
- Wash the cucumbers and peel, if you like. Cut into thin slices.
- In a bowl, combine the yoghurt and garlic, season with salt and pepper.
- Seed the hot chili and cut dice finely. Add to the yoghurt dressing.
- If you want the spicy version, simply add the thai paste or other hot paste. Play with how spicy you want it.
- Add the cucumber slices to the bowl, mix well, and enjoy!