Smothered Chicken is fried chicken (I use plant based) dunked in an amazing gravy, rich, creamy and unmistakably delicious. Once you try you know everyone will polish up plates in no time, because there isn’t anything like that screams comfort food more. It is a keeper that everyone won’t get enough of, from the first to the last bite you want to make this Smothered Chicken recipe on repeat. Always good, juicy, tender and flavorful – just like it should be. Serve alone or with Garlic Mashed Potatoes or Garlic Pasta.
Smothered Chicken is a southern dish which is fried chicken in a creamy and flavorful sauce. It is truly the epitome of comfort food.
What is the difference between stewed chicken and smothered chicken?
Both are cooked in a flavorful gravy, but you can tell the difference that stewed chicken is boiled and smothered chicken is fried which leads to lots and lots of flavors and texture.
Reasons to make this Smothered Chicken
You won’t believe that you can make a restaurant worthy meal easily at home and you will be really proud of the final result.
A meal that has so much flavor and an amazing texture, yet you don’t need tons of ingredients.
Have a look at my step by step pictures and you will see how everything comes together in a fraction of time.
Smothered Chicken is so versatile as I mentioned before. You can serve it with mashed potatoes, or pasta but those are not the only things to serve it up with. Because it will also be delicious with Cheese Puffs, Steak Fries or Potato Cheese Balls.
What you need for this Smothered Chicken recipe
Fist of, I use vegan chicken, but you can absolutely use whatever chicken you want and have on hand. Just make sure you have filets, not pieces.
For frying I recommend using a mild vegetable oil which is great for frying and has a high temperature smoke point.
Garlic and onion powder give so much amazing flavor, but we use both divided in the gravy and chicken which will taste nothing but delicious. Life is too short for bland taste. Here you know from the first bite everything is so flavorful, divine.
Vegetable broth is a thinner for our gravy, but what is truly smart about vegetable broth is at the same time it adds flavor.
Flour is a binding agent for the gravy and I use all purpose flour. Which makes it thicker and great.
Butter and heavy cream (I use dairy free) add so much richness, creaminess and an out of this world buttery flavor. Know, you want lick the spoon, so yummy.
Vegan bacon which are bacon bites adds another layer of flavoring. Keep in mind bacon bites are naturally vegan. Otherwise it is stated on the packed “real bacon bites” this is where it is actually bacon.
How to make Smothered Chicken
We start with dredging the chicken filets in flour.
For this you can either use a freezer bag or a bowl. In both cases, use half of the flour and half of the onion and garlic powders. Season with a pinch of salt and pepper and mix well, then cover the filets in it.
Let it sit for a while so the flour can perfectly stick to the chicken.
Now, heat 1 Tbs of the vegetable oil, and cook the bacon bites for about 2 minutes. Remove them from the pan.
Heat up remaining oil in the pan. Add in dredged chicken and fry for around 4 minutes from each side until crispy, golden and delicious.
Remove from pan, if you have leftover oil sitting in the pan wipe it out with kitchen towels.
To prepare the gravy, heat up butter in the pan and whisk in the remaining flour, garlic and onion powder. Add in heavy cream, vegetable broth and cook on medium heat until the gravy thickens up.
Give the chicken and bacon back to the pan cook for 2 minutes more. Serve the Smothered Chicken and enjoy.
Tips and tricks
Leftovers are great for 3 days. Heat them up on the stove or in the microwave.
For freezing: freeze gravy and chicken separately. This will lead to better flavors, because both together will be mixed and mushy while freezing. Apart you have all the amazing flavors on their own.
For a thicker gravy add more flour, for a thinner one add more heavy cream or vegetable broth.
Other gravy recipes to try
- 14 oz vegan chicken (I use 4 filets)
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil, divided
- 1/2 cup flour, divided
- 4 Tbs non dairy butter
- 1 cup bacon bites
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 3/4 cup vegetable broth
- 1 cup dairy free heavy cream
- salt, pepper to taste
- Use a bowl or a freezer bag, add half of the onion and garlic powder and 1/4 cup of the flour. Season with a pinch salt and pepper. Put in chicken filets and cover in flour mixture. Let it sit until further use.
- Add 1 Tbs of the vegetable oil to a pan and heat it up. Give in the bacon bites and cook for 2 minutes, then remove them from the pan.
- Heat the rest of the oil to the pan, then put in the dredged chicken and fry for 4 minutes from each side until crispy, golden and delicious. Remove from the pan, wipe out leftover oil with kitchen towels.
- Add butter to the pan and whisk in the remaining flour, garlic and onion powder. Mix in heavy cream, vegetable broth and cook until it thickens up.
- Add chicken and bacon back to the pan cook for 2 minutes, serve.
- Leftovers are most delicious for 3 days. Reheat them on the stove or microwave.
- To freeze: freeze gravy and chicken separately. This will make better flavors.
- To make a thicker gravy, use more flour and for a thinner gravy add more heavy cream or vegetable broth.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1 filet
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 501Total Fat: 17gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 786mgCarbohydrates: 16gFiber: 1gSugar: 2gProtein: 34g