Get excited for a finger-licking good Vegan Philly Cheese Steak sandwich. With hearty marinated eggplant, tasty sauteed onions and mushrooms, and fresh green pepper, this is also gluten free, 100% plant based, and so super easy to make.
Munching on a sandwich for me is definitely one of my comfort zones. Sandwiches are always super easy to make and so practical eat. It’s one my to go foods, not only when I’m in a hurry.
Plus it’s so accessible. You can use anything you have in the pantry and fridge and get creative for the filling. I like it that way. Always something there when I’m hit by a hunger craving.
I’m pretty sure you will love this Vegan Philly Cheese Steak sandwich.
It’s incredibly satisfying, hearty, filling, mouthwatering, packed with mesmerizing flavors, addictive, and one of the best things you can put between two slices of bread.
What is a Philly cheese steak
Originating from Philadelphia region, there are several variations of a cheese steak. Also several variations of the spelling: cheesesteak, cheese steak, Philadelphia, Philly, or even steak and cheese.
Whatever the way to write it, it’s a popular fast food.
The classic version isn’t vegan or gluten free, as you can imagine from the name.
It’s made with steak, provolone or cheddar cheese and butter.
You probably also are interested in how to make a Philly cheese steak in the traditional version?
Well, you have to fry the meat in a pan, then top it with your favorite cheese until melted.
How to make this Vegan Philly Cheese Steak
We are making a vegan version now together. Start with mixing BBQ Sauce, the hot sauce (optional), and garlic. Combine well with eggplant slices in a bowl, season with salt and pepper.
Let sit to marinate for around 10 minutes.
While the eggplant is marinating, make the vegan cheese. It’s even easier than you think.
Add the nutritional yeast and blend until really smooth and creamy. Set aside.
After marinating the eggplant stripes, heat oil in a pan und fry them for around 15 minutes. Use medium heat, and stir regularly.
To assemble your sandwich, start with some vegan cheese on your favorite bread, followed by eggplant, finishing with some sauce again.
Note if you wanna make the optional add ons like fried bell pepper, slices, mushrooms and onions. Add them on your favorite bread after the eggplant stripes finishing with sauce.
For the mushrooms: heat a bit oil in a pan, wait a bit until the oil is hot. Add the mushroom slices into the pan and fry them for 8 minutes.
For the bell peppers: again heat oil, fry the bell pepper slices. Last but not least for the onions: Fry the onion slices for 10 minutes.
No matter what add on you choose please make sure everything to seasoned with salt and pepper.
If you wanna make all 3 optional, you can make your life easier: heat oil, add everything together and fry for 10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper as well.
Serve with more optional hot sauce if you like!
This Vegan Philly Cheese Steak is made with one surprising ingredient, that you wouldn’t expect. I bet you tried this before with Seitan, Tofu, Tempeh, and maybe Portobello Mushrooms. Have you ever tried it with eggplants?
These result turned out so amazing, couldn’t believe myself that it happend that way.
I tried and tested this version a lot. The secret is the marinade which offers so much flavors and truly makes the taste and texture.
Don’t skip or leave anything out. I can’t vouch for accurate results this way.
If you make this for you or your loved ones, you will surely impress everyone.
- 1 large eggplant, peeled and cut into stripes
- Buffalo Homemade BBQ Sauce
- 2 Tbs olive or sunflower or canola oil
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and pressed
- salt, pepper to taste
For the Vegan Cheese:
- 1 batch 3 Ingredient Vegan Cheese Sauce + add 1/2 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 batch Maple Mustard Sauce from the Vegan Lentil Burger
Optional add ons:
- Fried bell pepper stripes, onions and mushrooms, more hot sauce to serve.
- Start with mixing BBQ Sauce, the hot sauce (optional), and garlic. Combine well with eggplant slices in a bowl, season with salt and pepper. Let sit to marinate for around 10 minutes.
- While the eggplant is marinating, make the cheese. Simply combine all the ingredients in the bowl of a blender. Add the nutritional yeast and blend until really smooth and creamy. Set aside.
- After marinating the eggplant stripes, heat oil in a pan und fry them for around 15 minutes. Use medium heat, and stir regularly.
- To assemble your sandwich, start with some vegan cheese on your favorite bread, followed by eggplant, finishing with some sauce again.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1 sandwich
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 404Total Fat: 19gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6.6gSodium: 870mgCarbohydrates: 46.5gFiber: 5gSugar: 20gProtein: 7.4g