Baingan Bharta aka eggplant mash are roasted eggplants, amazing spices and delicious tomatoes. It is such an amazing dish that comes together fast, is easy to make and full of flavor. Serve plain, with rice or naan bread for an unforgettable meal that you can easily make at home. Once you’ve tried this Baingan Bharta recipe you know everyone will love this and come back to it in no time.
Reasons to love this Baingan Bharta
Baingan Bharta is really easy to make an full of flavor.
The result tastes like in an amazing restaurant but you can make it at a fraction at cost.
No fancy equipment required, just mash and enjoy.
Look at my step by step pictures and you know everything comes with an amazing result.
What you need for this Baingan Bharta Recipe
Eggplants: I use medium eggplants and it takes 30 minutes for me to roast my eggplants in the oven to easily mash them up and remove the skin and flesh.
Tomatoes add a little juiciness to our dish.
Oil: Use canola or sun flower oil, but you can also use olive oil. Know that the taste from olive oil will be more prominent.
Garlic and onions make everything even more delicious. Add another layering of flavors.
Seasonings: We are going for a lot of flavor besides from garam masala we use cumin and chili flakes. Everything is finishing up with cilantro. Use fresh cilantro whenever you can.
How to make Baingan Bharta
Preheat oven to 430F and prepare a baking sheet with parchment paper or take a casserole dish.
Pick your eggplants with a fork in the skin and do that at least a couple of times.
Then, lay them out evenly on the baking sheet or in the casserole dish. Put in the oven and bake for around 35 minutes.
While the eggplants are roasting, heat vegetable oil in a pan. When hot, add in onions, garlic and chilis and fry everything for around 2 minutes.
Next, give in tomatoes, cumin, garam masala, chili flakes and turn on medium heat. Let simmer for 5 minutes more so the tomatoes can soften.
After 35 minutes the flesh from the eggplants should really easy pop from the skin. If not, roast them for 5 or 10 minutes more.
Pop the flesh directly to our pan and use a wooden spoon or fork to mash it.
Season with a pinch salt and pepper and serve in a bowl or on plates, enjoy.
Tips and tricks
Leftovers can be used for around 5 days and will taste amazing, but the flavor will be even more delicious.
To freeze: cool completely store in a freezer bag or make individual portions.
As I said above serve plain or with Easy Roasted Garlic Naan.
Do not care for chili? Leave chilis out and use less chili flakes.
Things to serve with Baingan Bharta
Curry recipes to try
- 2 medium eggplants
- 2 tomatoes, copped
- 2 Tbs vegetable oil
- 4 cloves garlic, pressed
- 1 green chili, diced
- 1/2 cup onions, chopped
- 1/2 tsp chili flakes
- 1 tsp cumin
- 2 tsp Garam masala
- 1/3 cup cilantro
- salt, pepper to taste
- Heat up your oven to 430F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper or set a casserole dish aside.
- Roast eggplants:
Place the eggplants on the baking sheet or casserole dish. Pick them with a fork in the skin and do that at least a couple of times. Put in the oven and bake for 35 minutes.
- In the meantime, heat the vegatable oil in a pan. When hot add in onions, garlic and chilis and fry them for around 2 minutes.
- Next also give tomatoes to the pan and season with cumin, garam masala, and chili flakes. Turn to medium heat and let all simmer for 5 minutes more.
- After roasting for 35 minutes, the flesh from the eggplants should be really easy pop from the skin. If not, roast them for 5 or 10 minutes more.
- Now, pop the flesh directly into the pan and use a wooden spoon or fork to mash everything.
- Season with a pinch salt and pepper, serve and enjoy.
- Leftovers can be used for around 5 days and will taste amazing, but the flavor will be even more delicious.
- To freeze: let cool completely and store in a freezer bag or make individual portions.
- Serve plain or with naan bread and I leave the link to my homemade recipe above.
- Not into spicy things? Leave out chilis and use less flakes.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 2 Serving Size: 1.5 cups
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 400Total Fat: 11gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 312mgCarbohydrates: 67gFiber: 18gSugar: 5gProtein: 8g