Cashew Chicken comes together in 20 minutes and tastes better than any takeout menu. Vegan chicken is cooked in garlic sauce along with roasted cashews. Serve plain or with rice and you know you have flavor and taste in each and every bite.
Reasons to make Cashew Chicken
I can tell you the sauce in this Cashew chicken recipe is no exception: I use brown sugar and soy sauce to keep everything really, really easy. No need for hoisin sauce which can be hard to find.
One of the tricks I use to create a great texture is covering the chicken with cornstarch. It is the same method I used before in my Sweet and Sour Cauliflower, so you know it is good.
What you need for this Cashew Chicken recipe
Besides from vegan chicken (you can use whatever you want and like 😊) and cornstarch, you will need the following ingredients:
For frying, I use sesame oil, but you can use any other oil too.
For making a wonderful sauce, you will need soy sauce, brown sugar or regular, ginger, garlic, and vinegar. Stirring the sauce together is as complicated as it gets. If you like to combine and making sauces you can make everything in no time for this cashew chicken.
Scallions provide a great crunch and a lot of flavor. I also find they add a great freshness to our stir fry.
Roasted cashews: I use already roasted cashews. If you have cashews that still need to be roasted you have two options.
In the oven, first preheating to 410F. Spread the cashews on a baking sheet and roast them for around 5 minutes. On the stove, given the cashews into a pan roast them for around 4 minutes. Add a pinch of salt, if you like to.
How to make Cashew Chicken
Mix cornstarch and chicken
Cut chicken into cubes or smaller pieces – that is totally up to you.
Give the chicken into a bowl and mix with cornstarch, 2 Tbs sesame oil and a pinch of salt and pepper.
You can also put everything into a Ziplock bag. Then close it and shake back and fourth until the starch covers everything.
In a small jar mix soy sauce with garlic, ginger, sugar, sweet chili sauce.
Next, heat 3 Tbs oil in a pan. Add chicken and fry for 4 minutes until done.
Give fresh scallions over the Cashew Chicken, then serve on plates.
Tips and tricks
Leftovers can be stored in the fridge for around 5 days.
You can stir in other veggies like bell pepper and broccoli.
Serve plain or with rice.
Other great recipes to try
- 16 oz vegan chicken
- 1 cup roasted cashews
- 5 Tbs sesame oil, divided
- 1/3 cup soy sauce
- 3 tsp brown sugar
- 2 Tbs cornstarch
- 2 cloves garlic, pressed
- 3 scallions, chopped
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar
- 1 tsp sweet chili sauce
- 1 tsp ginger
- salt, pepper to taste
- Combine chicken and cornstarch: In a bowl, mix chicken pieces with cornstarch and 2 Tbs oil. Add a pinch of salt and pepper. Or use a Ziplock bag, and shake back and fourth.
- Prepare sauce: Into a jar, combine soy sauce, brown sugar, chili sauce, garlic and vinegar.
- Fry chicken: Heat 3 Tbs oil in a pan. Add chicken and fry for 4 minutes. Pour sauce over the chicken, mix with cashews, and cook for around 2 minutes more.
- Sprinkle with scallions and serve.
- I use roasted cashews. If you have unroasted ones, you can easily roast them in no time: in the oven: preheat to 410F, lay cashews on a prepared baking sheet and bake for 5 minutes. Alternatively, given them into a hot pan and fry for around 4 minutes.
- Stir in more veggies if you like: broccoli or bell pepper is really great.
- Leftovers are good for 5 days
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1.5 cup
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 446Total Fat: 18gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 11gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 605mgCarbohydrates: 12gFiber: 2gSugar: 3gProtein: 34g