Red Beans and Rice are the ultimate comfort food, filling and so easy to make. Made with vegan sausage, rice, red beans, vegetables and great seasonings it is always a staple always. Tons of flavors and wonderful textures that you love make this Red Beans and Rice recipe a keeper that everyone can’t get enough of.
You know my love for Cajun food from recipes like Cajun Fries, Cajun Sauce, Cajun Pasta, or the Cajun Sweet Potato Rice Bowl.
Oh yes I’m all in for Cajun seasoning, because it makes everything so versatile.
But I have to tell it wouldn’t be me if I didn’t revamp this classic dish on my own terms, because what many red beans and rice recipes have in common is:
- Making them takes a lot of time because they use dried red beans. However, I use canned beans, and this will surely save you a good amount of time.
- Cooking rice takes time as well. But using leftover rice or minute rice is wonderful to save more time.
Authentic Red Beans and Rice have never been intended to be a quick recipe. It is often cooked all day or several hours.
Reasons to make Red Beans and Rice
Everything comes together so flavorful and delicious. Red Beans and Rice is really filling and budget friendly.
This is a great dish to feed a larger crowd.
Have a look at my step my step pictures and see the difference, because it is not cooked all day or hours.
Flavors are so good and it taste like in a great restaurant, yet you can make it at home.
What you need for this Red Beans and Rice
Start with vegan sausage: l like to use a spicy sausage just like a andouille Sausage. For a hearty, meaty and amazing texture.
Canned red beans are here to get the result fast. They add a great texture and add a hint of creaminess to the finished result.
Garlic and onions are here for essential flavor along with other vegetables: celery, bell peppers, cooked in olive oil. You can be sure it tastes fresh and bold. Seriously so good and delicious.
I season these Red Beans and Rice with Cajun seasoning, oregano, and smoked paprika to let all flavors, textures and ingredients really shine.
Green onions and parsley are here to finish everything, before serving with minute or leftover rice.
How to make Red Beans and Rice
Start with browning the sausages. Heat 1 Tbs olive oil in a large pot and add sausage. Brown them for around 3 minutes, then remove from pot.
In the same pot, heat the remaining 2 Tbs olive oil. Transfer garlic, onions, celery, bell pepper, and bay leaf to it and cook all for around 2 minutes.
Now, mix in the Cajun seasoning, oregano, smoke paprika, red beans and a pinch salt and pepper. Stir in vegetable broth, bring to a cook and let simmer for 10 minutes.
Remove bay leaf and add parsley and green onions, as well as the sausage. Cook for finally 5 minutes more .
Prepare the rice and serve the Red Beans and Rice on a plate or in a bowl.
What about leftovers?
Store them for around 4 days.
Can I freeze Red Beans and Rice?
Yes you can absolutely do that. Store in a freezer friendly and you can do that for 3 months.
Other rice recipes to try
Any remakes of the Red Beans and Rice?
Share them on Instagram or Facebook.
Red Beans and Rice
Red Beans and Rice are the ultimate comfort food, filling and so easy to make. Made with vegan sausage, rice, red beans, vegetables and great seasonings it is always a staple always. Tons of flavors and wonderful textures that you love make this Red Beans and Rice recipe a keeper that everyone can't get enough of.
- 2 14 oz cans red beans, drained
- 14 oz vegan sausage, chopped
- 1 heaping cup vegetable broth
- 3 Tbs olive oil, divided
- 1/2 cup onions, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled and pressed
- 1 Tbs Cajun Seasoning
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 Tbs Oregano
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 3 cup rice, cooked
- 1/4 cup Parsley, chopped
- 2 scallions, chopped
- salt, pepper to taste
- In a pot, heat 1 Tbs olive oil and then brown the sausage slices for about 3 minutes. Remove from pot and set aside.
- Add the remaining 2 Tbs to the same pot. Give in the garlic, onions, celery, bell pepper, bay leaf and cook for around 2 minutes.
- Now, season with Cajun seasoning, oregano, and smoked paprika. Also mix in the red beans and a pinch salt and pepper with the vegetable broth. Let simmer for 10 minutes.
- Remove bay leaf and add parsley and green onions, sausage. Finally cook for 5 more minutes, then serve everything with rice.
- Leftovers: Store them for around 4 days.
- For freezing: store in a freezer friendly and you can do that for 3 months.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 2 cups
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 655Total Fat: 20gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 11gCholesterol: 9mgSodium: 972mgCarbohydrates: 89gFiber: 16gSugar: 2gProtein: 34g
Saturday 11th of February 2023
Yum yum yum! This is so good! SO much better than the boring rice and beans I usually make.
Saturday 11th of February 2023
Thanks for your great feedback! Would you mind leaving a star rating with your review? Your experience is so helpful for other readers. Thanks a lot.