Sweet Potato Pasta is an amazing comfort meal with fried sweet potatoes cubes. Pasta and sweet potatoes are dunked in a rich and creamy sauce made from dairy free cream cheese. A 30 minute meal that the whole family will love and that just tastes great any time.
Sweet potatoes always taste great – whatever the time of the year and whatever the combination.
Here is why you should try this Sweet Potato Pasta
Dairy free cream cheese adds so much creaminess (like in my recipe for Creamy Mac and Cheese) and richness to this pasta
Garlic, onion powder, and red pepper flakes are here to add so much flavor.
The texture: We don’t cook our potatoes, but we fry them. It wouldn’t be me, if I didn’t show you how to make them perfectly crispy and extra satisfying.
Great with any pasta you can think of. Use your favorite, but I like penne most.
What you need for this Sweet Potato Pasta recipe
Pasta — the beauty of this recipe is that you can really use what pasta you have on hand, even leftover is great.
Vegan cream cheese and crumbled feta both make this dish extra creamy, rich, decadent and oh yet so satisfying
Oil — neutral vegetable oil is great, but you can also use olive oil, if you prefer. It will give this a much stronger and deeper flavor.
Sweet potatoes — provide such a great texture and taste, complimenting the other ingredient. It feels like you eat in a restaurant, but it is so easy to make. Thanks to the method we precook our potatoes firstly and then then shortly go right in to the pan for frying. You can be sure this makes all the difference and everything so tasty.
Red pepper flakes — I like to add a little bit of heat to spice things up. Hot sauce will work as well.
Garlic powder — garlic in all forms is always great. I use garlic powder, because it really boosts the flavor.
Thyme — Not a fan of thyme? I can promise you after you taste this Sweet Potato Pasta you definitely will. It adds so much contrast to the other components, but in a good way.
Onion powder — I like to keep it really simple. No peeling and chopping. But feel to use fresh onion, if you would like to.
Parsley adds lots of freshness in contrast to the other textures, really good friends.
Oat milk — this is seriously my favorite milk, because it tastes like the real deal.
How to make Sweet Potato Pasta
Wash your sweet potatoes, clean and peel them. Add them to a pot with boiling water or use a steamer basket. You want to precook them for around 4 minutes.
In the meantime, cook your pasta according to the manufacturer’s directions in lightly salted water.
When your sweet potatoes are done, let them cool a bit, then cut them into cubes. Heat oil in a skillet and give the cubes to it. Fry them for around 6 minutes, until the potatoes are really crispy. Season with a pinch of salt and pepper.
In a bowl combine thyme, garlic powder, onion powder, red pepper flakes, fresh parsley, feta, cream cheese, and milk. Mix with pasta and sweet potatoes. Serve in bowls or on plates.
Tips and tricks
Leftovers can be stored in the fridge for 4 days and reheat greatly on the stove or in the microwave.
Don’t miss out to precook your sweet potatoes, this is crucial for extra crispy potatoes. It releases immediately the starch, makes them soft and this my friends will guarantee best results.
Cut your sweet potatoes into cubes after you precook them, because otherwise they will get soggy.
To make ahead: you can cook your sweet potatoes before so they are cooled down and ready for frying.
- 2 medium Sweet potatoes, peeled
- 9 oz pasta (use gf, if you want to)
- 8 oz dairy free cream cheese
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp thyme, dried
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1/3 cup oat milk
- 5 oz vegan feta, crumbled
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- salt, pepper to taste
- Clean and peel the sweet potatoes properly. Bring water to a boil in a large pot, and add the sweet potatoes or use a steamer basket. Cook for around 5 minutes, which will release the starch and results in a crispier frying result later.
- In the meantime cook your pasta according to the manufacturer's directions.
- Your sweet potatoes should be ready by now. Cut them into cubes and heat oil in a skillet. When hot, add sweet potatoes fry them for around 6 minutes. For the amazing flavors season with garlic powder, onion powder, red pepper flakes and fry for 5 minutes more until the potatoes are really crispy. Season with a pinch salt and pepper.
- Finally in a large bowl combine thyme, fresh parsley, feta, cream cheese, milk. Mix with pasta and sweet potatoes. Serve in bowls or on plates, enjoy.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1.5 cups
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 553Total Fat: 38gSaturated Fat: 18gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 17gCholesterol: 89mgSodium: 676mgCarbohydrates: 40gFiber: 4gSugar: 9gProtein: 14g