Chicken and Dumplings are the epitome of comfort food. Made with vegan chicken and veggies, this is a hearty and creamy soup, amazing with the right amount seasonings. This Chicken and Dumplings recipe has homemade dumplings in it that are really easy to make. From the first sip you know it is a keeper that everyone can’t get enough of.
When I recently made my Dumpling Soup I figured out how easy it is to make dumplings.
Dumplings that are really delicious, with little effort to make and a beautiful texture.
Who would have thought that this can be so easy? With only the simplest ingredients!
Reasons to make Chicken and Dumplings
You will love the texture from veggies, chicken and dumplings. Seriously it is an amazing texture that makes everyone craving for more.
Bonus: it comes really easy together and will provide big flavors.
What you need for this Chicken and Dumplings recipe
Firstly, I use vegan chicken, but you can use whatever you prefer.
Celery, carrots, onions and garlic will all be cooked in dairy free butter to give it a wonderful buttery and rich flavor. Vegetable broth is a liquid which not only provides great flavors, yet it makes a great consistency.
However, this isn’t it at all, because I add one ingredient later that makes this chicken and dumplings soup so creamy: non dairy cream cheese like I do in Creamy Mac and Cheese. Of course I could make a white sauce, but let me tell you cream cheese is really delicious in soups.
Dumplings: this is what I call the easy route, friends: I use all purpose flour, baking powder, mixed with olive oil, oat milk and finally add a pinch of salt and pepper. This is our dumpling dough and it is really as easy as it gets.
Parsley adds a vibrant and fresh flavor to the soup. I see many recipes that use thyme or sage, those are also really delicious. Chili flakes add a little bit of a spicy kick, which I really find great with the other ingredients.
How to make Chicken and Dumpling Soup
Into a bowl combine flour, baking powder, oil, milk and a pinch salt of pepper. Mix form with your hands into a ball. Then cover with a towel and set aside.
Heat butter in a large pot. When hot, add celery, carrots, onions, garlic and cook all for around 4 minutes.
Next, also add chicken, vegetable broth, chili flakes and cook for 5 minutes more.
Now, use a tablespoon and take about 1 inch of the dough and just drop it into the soup. Repeat until you have all of the dough used. Let the soup with the dumplings simmer for around 10 minutes. Finally add cream cheese and parsley and cook for 2 minutes more.
Serve in bowls, enjoy.
Tips and tricks
Leftovers are great for around 4 days. Can be reheated on the stove for a couple of minutes on medium heat. Alternatively, you can use the microwave.
I use parsley here, but you can also use rosemary, sage, or thyme for another option.
Drop dumplings the same size in the soup so they can cook evenly.
Other recipes to try
- 10 oz vegan chicken
- 1/2 cup onions, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, pressed
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 3 medium carrots, diced
- 1/4 tsp chili flakes
- 2 Tbs parsley
- 3 Tbs dairy free butter
- 7 oz non dairy cream cheese
- 5 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 cup oat milk
- 4 Tbs oil
- salt, pepper to taste
- In a bowl combine flour, baking powder, oil, milk and a pinch salt of pepper. Mix and form with your hands into a ball. Cover with a kitchen towel and set a side.
- In a pot melt butter, then add celery, carrots, onions, garlic and cook them for 4 minutes.
- Then, add in chicken, vegetable broth, chili flakes and cook for 5 minutes more.
- You can use a tablespoon to make dumplings: Take around 1 inch of the dough and drop it into the soup. Repeat until no more dough is left. Cook them for 10 minutes.
- Finally add cream cheese and parsley and cook 2 minutes more.
- Leftovers are good for 4 days. Reheat on the stove for a couple of minutes on medium heat, or use microwave.
- Instead of parsley, you could use rosemary, sage, or thyme for other options.
- Make sure you drop dumplings all same size in the soup so they can cook evenly.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1.5 cups
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 473Total Fat: 12gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 9gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 862mgCarbohydrates: 27gFiber: 2gSugar: 2gProtein: 17g