Coleslaw is a staple in many BBQ’s, potlucks, or a great side instead of serving salad. All you need is some shredded cabbage and you know this is the coleslaw recipe you’ve been waiting for. It is really easy and delicious to make at home.
Reasons to love this Coleslaw
It a really flexible recipe: you can shred your cabbage in the food processor or by hand, see my suggestions below. You can even use a coleslaw mix: just make the dressing. Add some parsley and that it is.
There is nothing you can not serve up with coleslaw: great for sandwiches, burgers, wraps and anything you can think of.
Have a look at my step by step pictures and see how easy everything comes together at home.
You can user the Coleslaw dressing for any coleslaw or salad it is always so delicious.
Here is what you need for this Coleslaw recipe
Green cabbage for a great and crunchy texture. Adds another level of freshness and it is really easy to shred your cabbage using a food processor with an attachment or to do it by hand with a knife, mandolin, or vegetable peeler.
Red cabbage adds a great color and pop to our coleslaw. I really like the different textures and colors here and it tastes so good.
Carrots: Another ingredient for great color and texture. Who doesn’t love all the different components here? Seriously, I’m all about these.
Parsley: this isn’t a typically ingredient that you would expect, but let me tell you it really adds another dimension of deliciousness.
What’s in this Coleslaw dressing
I tell you if you make any Coleslaw this is the most amazing dressing. This creamy dressing is so flavorful, easy and satisfying to make:
Apple cider vinegar adds a great tang and bold flavor. You can also use lemon juice or white vinegar, but I find apple cider vinegar best.
I use a little bit of mustard and this really takes this dressing over the top delicious. True, mayo and mustard really go amazing together, yum.
Sugar: a little bit sweetness is great and simply makes the flavor profile round. Any sweetener that you have on hand works and it is a great contrast to the other components.
How to make Coleslaw
Wash and clean cabbage
If you want to use pre shredded cabbage, jump ahead directly to the carrots.
Wash and clean the cabbage, and remove its outer leaves. After cleaning, dry with paper towels to remove as much water as you can.
Shredding by hand works with a knife or vegetable peeler, and a mandolin is great as well. Choose whatever you want and what really floods your boat preparation wise. Otherwise, just use a food processor with a shredding attachment.
If you use already shredded carrots skip this step. Otherwise, clean carrots, peel them and shred.
Make the dressing
Into a bowl combine: mayo, vinegar, mustard, celery seeds and a pinch salt and pepper.
Prepare coleslaw and serve
In a bowl combine cabbage, carrots, parsley and mix with dressing. Serve immediately or store in the fridge as it tastes surely amazing as it sits.
Tips and tricks
Leftovers can be stored for around 5 days in the fridge covered.
For meal prep you can make anything in advance the night before.
Other cabbage recipes to try
- 6 cups green cabbage, shredded
- 3 cups red cabbage, shredded
- 3 carrots, shredded
- 1/2 cups parsley
- 10 Tbs vegan mayo
- 2 Tbs apple cider vinegar
- 1 Tbs mustard
- 3 tsp sugar
- salt, pepper to taste
Clean and shred cabbage and carrots
- If you use pre-shredded cabbage and carrots, jump ahead to making the dessing.
- Wash and clean the cabbage, and remove outer leaves. Dry with paper towels. Remove as much water as you can so it is easily ready for shredding.
- For shredding: shred by hand with a knife, vegetable peeler or mandolin. Choose whatever you want or use your food processor with a attachment.
- Wash carrots, peel and shred them.
- In a bowl combine mayo, vinegar, mustard, celery seeds and a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Into a bowl combine cabbage, carrots, parsley and mix with dressing.
- Serve immediately or store in the fridge for later.
- Leftovers are great for around 5 days in the fridge covered.
- For meal prep you can make anything in advance the night before.
- Keep in mind that as coleslaw sits in the fridge, the texture will soften, because the dressing will really soak in the cabbage.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 2 cups
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 191Total Fat: 6gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 257mgCarbohydrates: 22gFiber: 6gSugar: 6gProtein: 4g