Sausage Pizza is made with caramelized onions, pre made pizza dough to save time, and roasted red peppers. You know it is tasty and so easy. It has everything what is amazing about pizza, yet you save money truly you can make it easily at home.
Reasons to make this Sausage Pizza
It is really easy, because we use store bought pizza dough.
For the roasted red peppers, I’m lazy with that as well and use some from a jar, but I tell you later on how you can roast them yourself.
Flavors are so good, because you have the feeling of take out pizza, so delicious.
You can easily make a family style pizza, just double up and use more dough.
What you need for this Sausage Pizza recipe
Pizza dough: use your favorite, or make it homemade if you absolutely have the time. It is a really flexible pizza recipe that will work with any dough.
Tomato sauce: this is our base along with garlic, oregano, crushed pepper it is a pretty tasty sauce that taste so good. Looking for a all purpose sauce, then use my Pizza Sauce.
Olive oil: this what I use to cook my sausage (I use vegan) and of course I do caramelize the onions.
Roasted red peppers add great texture and a slightly sweet note to our pizza. I use canned red peppers, but if you want to make them fresh, do it like this:
Preheat oven to 410F and roast pepper on a baking sheet for around 25 minutes. Cool down and remove core and skin.
Dairy free mozzarella: Pizza should be always cheesy and this is where mozzarella comes into play.
How to make Sausage Pizza
First, preheat the oven to 410F.
Next, caramelize the onions. This will take 10 up 15 minutes at least. Add 1 Tbs of oil to your pan and make sure pan is hot before you give the sliced onion to it. You do want to make sure your onions are beautifully caramelized, because it adds so much flavor.
When the onions are done, remove them from the pan. Add remaining oil to it pan and cook sausages for around 4 minutes. Add a pinch of salt and pepper.
To make the pizza sauce, just combine tomato sauce, garlic, oregano, and crushed pepper in a bowl.
On a prepared baking sheet roll out pizza dough start with tomato sauce, followed by half of the mozzarella, then sausage, caramelized onions, roasted red peppers, and finally remaining mozzarella. Bake for 15 minutes, then serve hot.
Leftovers of this Sausage Pizza are great for 4 days and taste even delicious for breakfast. I speak from personal experience, really good.
Because this is a pizza where you can add as much toppings that you like and want. You can easily switch things up by adding:
Also Sausage Pizza works with any dough you can think of:
- Cauliflower crust
- Thick or thin crust
- Stuffed pizza
- New York style pizza which is just in between thick and thin and is a medium thick pizza crust.
- Sicilian pizza: which is like a focaccia pizza and you can absolutely use my Focaccia.
- Flatbread or naan bread can be used for a easy dough
Pro tip: cook your sausages and onions separately as written in my instructions. You don’t want to cook them together, because you really want to taste each flavor.
Other Pizza recipes to try
- 1 Pizza dough
- 1/2 cup Tomato sauce
- 2 cloves garlic, presed
- 1/2 tsp crushed pepper
- 1 tsp oregano
- 6 oz vegan sausage, crumbled
- 1/3 cup roasted red peppers
- 2 Tbs olive oil
- 1 cup onions, sliced
- 3/4 dairy free mozzarella, shredded
- salt, pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 410F.
- To caramelize the onions, add 1 Tbs olive oil to a pan and heat it up. Then add the slices onions and caramelize them for at least 10 minutes, stirring them oven.
- Remove the onions from the pan and add the remaining 1 Tbs of olive oil. Cook sausage crumbles for about four minutes and season with salt and pepper.
- To make the Pizza sauce, combine tomato sauce, garlic, oregano, and crushed pepper, in a bowl and mix well.
- Roll out the pizza dough on a prepared baking sheet. Start with a layer of tomato sauce, followed by half of the mozzarella, then the sausage cumbles, caramelized onions, roasted red peppers, and finally the rest of the mozzarella.
- Bake for 15 minutes, ready for serving.
- Leftovers are good for 4 days and taste even delicious for breakfast.
- Always cook sausage and onions apart from it as in the recipe written. You really want great caramelized onions and want to taste flavors individually.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 2 Serving Size: 1/2 pizza
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 505Total Fat: 20gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 12gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 569mgCarbohydrates: 29gFiber: 4gSugar: 5gProtein: 22g