I have an awesome Berry & Coconut Cream Cake for you today. Vegan and gluten free, it’s full of guilt-free enjoyment. Plant-based cake with chocolate indulgence and summer feeling and fresh berries. The best vegan coconut cream cake you’ll ever have!
Daniela, one of my friends, has been following Contentedness Cooking for some time. When I met her recently for a coffee, she told me how she was fascinated by the fact that took the challenge to make my recipes all vegan and gluten-free.
“I love what you do”, she said. “I had no idea that you can do all this. It’s so amazing.” While I thanked her and tried to explain that it is actually not that hard when you have an open mind, I noticed something in the way that she said it that seemed teasing. And, true enough, there was more: “But I bet there is something that you cannot do. You know that my birthday is next week – and I’m sure you cannot make a vegan cream cake.”
Fine, a challenge. She did hit a sort of weak point because I had never made a cream cake – vegan or not. Still, I had a couple of ideas: It’s become quite summerly warm/hot recently and I was looking for something light. Well, at least for the creamy part. The baked part is a chocolate indulgence: gluten-free flour, plant-based milk, cocoa, and sweetened by medjool dates.
The creamy part: somehow I associate coconut flavor with summer. Warm weather, a slight breeze, sunshine. This summer feeling should be reflected in the cake. I had come across coconut yoghurt before and thought that was a great idea to use this together with coconut cream to make the base of the cream-like topping. I used a bit of agar agar to give this a bit extra firmness. It takes a couple of hours for the coconut cream to firm up in the fridge. Finally, a lot of fresh berries (I used strawberries, blackberries, blueberries, and raspberries) go on top. I sprinkled this Berry & Coconut Cream Cake with some melted vegan white chocolate and coconut flakes.
When I presented this cake to Daniela at her birthday, she was impressed. “I didn’t think this was possible! How can I make sure you didn’t cheat?” She was not giving up easily. I told her I would publish the recipe here and she could then try for herself. So here it is – not only for Daniela but for everyone to try!
5 minPrep Time
30 minCook Time
35 minTotal Time
- 4 cups (500 g) gluten-free or flour of choice
- 10 medjool dates chopped
- 1/2 cup (120 ml) coconut oil
- 1 cup (125 g) cacao
- 2 cups (480 ml) plant based milk
- 1 cup (235ml) water
- 2 Tbs aluminium-free baking powder
- 2 tsp baking soda
- pinch salt
- 1 Tbs organic vanilla
- 3.5 oz (100 g) coconut cream
- 35 oz (1000 g) coconut yoghurt
- 1 Tbs Maple + vanilla optional
- agar agar
- berries (strawberries, rasperries, blueberries,blackberry etc)
- vegan white chocolate for sprinkling, coconut flakes
- Finely chop the dates.
- Add all dry ingredients to a bowl and mix. Then slowly add the milk and water. Be careful that the dough does not become too thin. Finally, add the chopped dates.
- Preheat oven to 390°F (200° C). Prepare a round 10 in spring form either with parchment paper or with oil. Transfer the dough to the form and distribute evenly. Bake for 30 minutes and let cool.
- Slightly heat the coconut cream if it's too firm. Then mix all ingredients well. I recommend using a gelling agent (agar agar) so that the creme will become firm - consult the manufacturer's instructions. Add the cream on top of the baked dough and chill in the fridge for several hours.
- Before serving, add berries on top. Melt the white chocolate and sprinkle with cake with it and with some coconut flakes.
The Berry & Coconut Cream Cake Elsewhere
- Elephantastic Vegan – 20 Vegan & Refined Sugar-Free Desserts – October 29, 2015