My vegan Chickpea Burger is a real stunner. It is so easy to prepare the chickpea patties from only three ingredients and the combination with the Avocado Mayo makes this one of the best vegan burgers you have ever tried. So take no time and try my Chickpea Burger right now!
The idea for this Chickpea Burger with Avocado Mayo came when I had the Mayo as a leftover from the day before. It is an awesome homemade vegan dip that is very easy to make. Most of the time is simply waiting for the cashews to soak. Drain and add them to a blender together with avocado, garlic, lemon juice, olive oil, vinegar, and spices. Process on high until all ingredients combine into a soft mix and you are ready to go!
So I still had a good amount of the Avocado Mayo in the fridge and needed to use it with something that had to be ready real quick. I was in fact looking for something that needs only very few ingredients – and, I admit it, I fancied a scrumptious burger. There were some gluten-free bread rolls with pumpkin seeds – burger buns, check! Tomatoes, and salad, check! Didn’t look too bad so far.
Now what about the heart of the burger: the patty? I still had some canned chickpeas and some herbs – so I mashed the chickpeas and added the chopped herbs. Can you already imagine the aromas mixing? I decided to spice things up a bit with a good splash of tabasco and some nutritional yeast. A pinch of salt finalized the mixture for this awesome vegan burger patty base. It was pretty sticky already and so it was good to go into the oven.
After some 25 minutes of baking, these Chickpea Burgers with Avocado Mayo were done. Assembly is of course pretty easy – you all know that. Apart from the sliced tomatoes and arugula, I added red onion rings and a good hand of cress on top of the burger-avocado combination. It’s so easy. But so delicious. And I decided that I need more leftover days like this!
- ¾ cup (100g) cashews
- 2 avocados
- 1 Tbs lemon juice
- 1-2 garlic cloves
- 2 Tbs Olive oil
- 2 Tbs apple cider vinegar
- 2 Tbs water
- salt, pepper to taste
- 3 14 oz (400 g) cans chickpeas
- salt, tabasco to taste
- 2 Tbs nutritional yeast
- salad (I used arugula)
- red onion
- Soak the cashews in water for two hours.
- Drain the cashews and add to a blender with the avocados and all other ingredients. Pulse until smooth and store in the fridge.
- Preheat oven to 390°F (200°C) and prepare a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Drain the chickpeas and transfer to a bowl.
- Mash with a hand masher until the chickpeas form a rough texture. Add the herbs, salt, and tabasco and mix well.
- Form patties with your hands and transfer to the baking sheet. Bake for about 25 minutes and flip in between.
- Start out with the salad, add tomato and a Chickpea Burger patty. Top with a good amount of the avocado mayo, red onion rings, and cress. Enjoy!