Pasta with Macadamia Nuts – my vegan spring inspiration!
I’m sick of winter. While there wasn’t an awful lot of snow over here and the temperatures never dropped far below freezing, it’s been too dark and cold and gloomy for my taste. It sometimes affects my mood as well, so it’s time for spring – I won’t even dream of summer yet.
Still, when it was recently one of the first days when the sun finally peeked through the cloud cover and temperatures rose ever so slightly above what it was on average before, I had this spring feeling floating through me. And I craved for something that reflected this springlike mood!
Somehow I associate strawberries with spring, even though strictly speaking it’s more of a late spring/early summer fruit. Nevertheless, I couldn’t resist buying some in the market. And some zucchini. And macadamia nuts. Even without knowing what I would do with it, these ingredients went into my shopping basket.
Already on my way home, I started picturing my dinner. I remembered I had some vegan sour cream in the fridge and decided that I’d make a crunchy dip-like sauce with it, adding roasted macadamias and zucchini as well as the strawberries to it. I made a portion of pasta with it and enjoyed my spring inspiration! So good!
Now spring just has to really come and stay! Maybe we can force winter away for good, if we all eat, like, and share this recipe!
5 minPrep Time
10 minCook Time
15 minTotal Time
- 8 oz (250 g) whole wheat fusilli (if gluten sensitive, make sure your choice is gluten-free)
- 1 cup (130 g) macadamia nuts, chopped and toasted (set aside a handful for garnish)
- 2 small zucchinis cut into small cubes (set aside 1/3 for garnish)
- olive oil for frying (I use 2 Tbs olive oil)
- fresh herbs of choice (optional)
- 8 oz (250 g) chopped good quality strawberries (set aside 1/3 for garnish)
- 8 oz (250 g) vegan sour creme (if you don't need it vegan, ricotta works well)
- salt, pepper to taste.
- Roast the macadamia nuts in a pan for at least 5 to 10 minutes.
- Heat oil in a pan and fry the zucchini cubes for at least 15 minutes.
- Cook the pasta according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
- In the meantime combine the vegan sour cream with strawberries, herbs (if desired), macadamias, and zucchini. Divide the cooked pasta into bowls, garnish with some macadamias, zucchini and strawberries. Enjoy!