I made these Vegan Strawberry Sandwich Cookies as a birthday surprise for a good friend. They are easy to make, with a cashew strawberry cream filling and peanut butter in the dough. The best sandwich cookies for every occasion.
Do you still remember Denise from some of my previous posts? The stunning girl whose love story with Michael gave rise to my Golden Beet Sandwich? It was her fifth 23rd birthday a couple of days ago and it had to be celebrated appropriately. I decided to bring her a Cookie Basket with the newest generation of my own creations. It was supposed to be a special cookie just for her. Pink is her favorite color and that’s why I thought that pink also had to be included in Denise’s Special Cookie. How could I manage that? The easiest way seemed to be by making sandwich cookies with an exciting filling between the top and bottom halves.
So, the filling. The red of strawberries was a must – spring is there to stay. To make a cream-like filling that is also vegan, I decided to try blending the strawberries with soaked cashews. It worked beautifully. Not only created the combination the desired pink color, it had a great texture, and a delicious taste. I could imagine though that depending on your preference and/or the natural sweetness of the strawberries one might add a little bit of sweetener. The top and bottom of my Strawberry Sandwich Cookies are made from gluten-free flour, peanut butter, a splash of plant-based milk, and some sweeteners. I found it a bit challenging to make small cookies out of the dough and how long (short!) to bake them. Turns out, about 5 minutes is enough so that the cookie is still moist and tasty.
Then all that remains is to carefully place a spoonful of the Strawberry Cream onto the bottom half and gently push the top on it. Makes for really lovely looking Vegan Strawberry Sandwich Cookies that won Denise’s heart immediately 😉
10 minPrep Time
5 minCook Time
15 minTotal Time
- 2 cups (250 g) flour
- 1/2 cup (120 ml) maple
- 1/2 cup (120 ml) oat milk or of your choice
- 1 cup (250 ml) organic peanut butter (without sugar or any artificial)
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- vanilla extract
- pinch cinnamon + salt
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) coconut oil
- 10 oz (300 g) strawberries
- 5 oz (150 g) cashews, soaked (best overnight)
- 1 Tbs maple + citrus juice
- Soak the cashews in water. Ideally overnight, but at least 2 hours.
- Give all ingredients to a blender or food processor and blend until really smooth.
- Place into fridge until use.
- Mix the melted coconut oil with the peanut butter and the milk until you have a smooth blend.
- In a bowl, combine with the remaining ingredients until you get moist cookie dough.
- Wrap the dough into a plastic wrap and form into a roll with your hands (this makes it easier to cut the dough into equal sizes) and chill for at least one hour in the refrigerator. Since we want smaller cookies, I suggest to make three smaller portions.
- After 50 minutes, preheat oven to 390°F (200°C) and prepare 3 baking sheets with parchment paper (yes exactly 3, your cookies need some space during baking).
- Unwrap the dough after chilling and cut into equal slices and form with your hands into cookies. This will make 15 sandwich cookies (so 30 small individual cookies).
- Divide the cookies on the three baking sheets and bake for around 5 minutes. Let cool for 10 minutes, then fill with the Strawberry Cream. Leftovers can be enjoyed!