“Vegan Wraps with Spicy Orange-Olive Tapenade” are a delicious on-the-go snack. Ideal for travel, picnic, or even for a healthy lunch at work.
Wraps are really one of the most versatile on-the-go snacks. Whatever you crave, whatever inspiration you have, or whenever you just have some leftovers – there is hardly anything you cannot use as a filling.
This recipe I created when I promised to bring something to a picnic with friends. Because a couple of them are vegans, a vegan wrap it had to be. One thing I had planned to give a try for some time was an “Orange-Olive Tapenade”. Using roasted bell pepper and – of course – olives as a base, I added orange juice and a spicy flavor from tabasco and garlic.
Next, I roasted some almonds that I first had covered in a mix of agave, cinnamon, nutmeg, and lemon. It’s a bit of a contrast to the spicy tapenade but trust me, it’s a tasty combination! For the rest of the filling, I chose smoked tofu, salad, and some more fruits, such as grapes and clementines. You are of course free to add whatever you like – versatile, remember 😉
Here is what is needed to enjoy the Vegan Wraps with Spicy Orange-Olive Tapenade:
5 minPrep Time
10 minCook Time
15 minTotal Time
- orange juice of 1/2 orange + orange zest
- 1 Tbs extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cups (200 g) kalamata olives (stones removed), chopped
- 1 bell pepper, roasted
- 1 dash tabasco
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/2 cup (50 g) almonds
- 1 Tbs agave or maple syrup
- a dash cinnamon + nutmeg
- 1 lemon zest + 1 tsp lemon juice
- 8 oz (250 g) smoked tofu cut into small cubes
- 2 large handfuls purple grapes, seeded and sliced
- 3 1/2 oz (100 g) arugula or salad mix of choice
- 2 clementines
- 1/2 cup (20 g) dill or herbs of choice
- vegan tortilla wraps for filling
- Preheat the oven to 390°F (200°C). Prepare a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Roast the bell pepper for about 45 minutes. Be careful not to burn it. Set aside to cool, then remove seeds and peel.
- Transfer the bell pepper and the remaining ingredients to a blender or food processor and blend until really smooth. Keep in the fridge until use (you can prepare this well in advance).
- Preheat the oven to 390°F (200°C). Prepare two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Cut the tofu into small cubes, add to the first baking sheet and roast for about 15 minutes.
- In the meantime, mix the agave, cinnamon, nutmeg, and lemon juice and zest in a small bowl. Add the almonds and mix until they are well covered.
- Add to the baking sheet and roast for about 10 minutes.
- Spread the tapenade on a wrap.
- Add the salad first, then top with the remaining ingredients of the filling.
- Roll and enjoy!