Delicious and super easy to make, this Chickpea Lentil Shepherd’s Pie is entirely vegan, gluten free and definitely a must make for the holidays or any day.
- 1 batch Chickpea Lentil Bolognese, only with 14 oz marinara sauce
- 2 lbs potatoes
- 3/4 cup coconut milk or cashew milk
- 2 cloves garlic
- 3 Tbs nutritional yeast
- salt, pepper to taste
- Wash and peel your potatoes. Cook or steam them until they are soft.
- While you do this, prepare the Chickpea Lentil Bolognese as the filling: Heat a pot with a bit of oil, or use vegetable broth to make this without oil. Add garlic, optional onion plus celery if you like. Fry for around 4 minutes.
- Add lentils, marinara, tomato paste and cook until done. You really don’t want the lentils too mushy. When ready add chickpeas and the optional add ons like red wine and cherry tomatoes. Don’t forget to season with salt and pepper. Now mix your cooked potatoes with coconut or cashew milk, garlic, nutritional yeast, and season with salt and pepper. Be patient and mash with a potato masher or use the food processor for a mashed texture.
- Last, you will need a 10×10 inch casserole dish. Simply add the chickpea lentil mixture on the bottom of your casserole, then top with the mashed potatoes.
- Bake at 425°F for around 25 minutes.
- Serving Size: 2 cups
- Calories: 356
- Sugar: 9
- Sodium: 567
- Fat: 7
- Saturated Fat: 4
- Unsaturated Fat: 3
- Carbohydrates: 57
- Fiber: 10
- Protein: 11