Hot summers cry for nice and light food. This summer – at least here – seems to be either extremely hot or miserably wet. We had a recent spell of extremely hot – more extreme than I could remember. Somehow one particularly hot day, when temperatures were boiling (for my taste), I was thinking back to the summers when I grew up and I can’t remember them being that exhausting.
Is that because I wasn’t living in a city back then but a smaller village/suburban area? I’m not sure. What I do remember though is that we used to have family BBQs during the summer and that we often used garden-grown ingredients for that.
Something that was always highly anticipated was the time when the potatoes were ready. We’d go on the part of the garden where they were growing and carefully dig the potatoes out of the ground – then pick up the individual potatoes and collect them. They would be of different sizes, some with spots, some without.
We removed the dirt and then they’d go into the kitchen – or storage in the basement. Out of the kitchen the potatoes would often come as a potato salad for our BBQ evening.
So here I was and remembering all that I suddenly had an urge to make a Vegan Potato Salad. After finding some suitable fresh potatoes, I hunted for the extras: bell pepper, radish, pickles, scallions, capers, and herbs.
It’s really a very basic recipe and in principle you can vary the vegetable components as you wish. What remains is the vegan salad dressing. I went for a mix of vegenaise and vegan sour creme – roughly at a mixing ratio of 2:1. However, one can easily play around with it a little bit.
Season the dressing with a little salt and pepper.
There are two different ways to serve this Vegan Potato Salad, according to your preferences. Either mix the dressing and the potato/vegetable combo, or just give a good amount of the dressing on top of your portion. All up to you. I prefer the mixed version because I think the flavors combine better. Enjoy!Print
- 2 lb (1 kg) potatoes
- 1 bunch radishes
- 1 red bell pepper
- 4–5 scallions
- 5 Tbs vegenaise
- 2 Tbs vegan sour creme
- salt, pepper to taste
- Peel and cook the potatoes. Be careful not to overcook them and make them too soft. Drain and let them cool (you can help with a little cold water).
- Wash the radishes, bell pepper, and scallions. Slice/dice them together with the pickles (the amount is up to your taste).
- When the potatoes are cold, cut them into evenly sized slices as well. Carefully mix with the cut vegetables and add capers to your taste.
- Prepare the salad dressing by mixing vegenaise and vegan sour creme. I used 5 and 2 Tbs, respectively, but you can play around with the mixture. Add salt and pepper, to taste.
- Serve the Vegan Potato Salad either by putting a good dollop of the dressing on top of the potato-vegetables mixture or by mixing it as on the pictures.