- 2 zucchini, thinly sliced
- 1 batch Muhammara prepared (leave out the chia seeds add 4 more cloves garlic)
- breafcrumb topping prepared from Mashed Cauliflower Green Bean Casserole
For the ricotta
- 1 cup Brazil nuts
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- 1/3 cup nutritional yeast
- 1/3 cup water
- salt, pepper to taste
- First prepare the vegan ricotta. Simply add all the ingredients (brazil nuts, lemon juice, nutritional yeast, water, and salt, pepper) in a blender and process until smooth and creamy. Set aside.
- With the vegan ricotta and prepared Muhammara, slice the zucchini in long, thin slices. Now we assemble: start with spooning Muhammara on the bottom, cover some zucchini slices, and season with salt and pepper. This is really important for the flavor, otherwise the Vegan Ricotta Zucchini Casserole might taste bland. Sprinkle a bit of the breadcrumb topping over it, then about half of the ricotta. Repeat until you’ve finished. The last layer should be Muhammara and breadcrumb topping.
- The last thing we need to do is bake the casserole for 35 minutes at 410°F. I recommend to cover the top with aluminum foil. This is important because otherwise the breadcrumb based topping will likely burn. After the 35 minutes, take the aluminium foil off and bake for another 10 minutes.